Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am using ULEAD VIDEOSTUDIO ver 5.0

When i capture images from a DV camera the picture is clear on the camera BUT is Blurry and Dark on the saved .JPEG image.

Please advise me on a good graphics enhancing software which can help tidy up the detail on my captured images.

I am already using various Adobe products but these do not help that much.

I guess i need tips on bringing out the DETAIL on blurred and really dark images HELP HELP HELP

[This message was edited by OliverB on June 02, 2002 at 21:44.]
    IP

I am using ULEAD VIDEOSTUDIO ver 5.0

When i capture images from a DV camera the picture is clear on the camera BUT is Blurry and Dark on the saved .JPEG image.

Please advise me on a good graphics enhancing software which can help tidy up the detail on my captured images.

I am already using various Adobe products but these do not help that much.

I guess i need tips on bringing out the DETAIL on blurred and really dark images HELP HELP HELP

[This message was edited by OliverB on June 02, 2002 at 21:44.]
    IP

Hooboy, this is one busy forum these days...hmmm, I wonder whatever created such a stir...hehe

anyhoo, I must admit my utter ignorance when it comes to vs5... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] though I am sure that if you stick around for a bit there will be one of the Ulead faithfull popping up to give ya a hand... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

A great image editor is non other than PhotoImpact [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    IP

Do you know how to make the images more detailed. Ive been messing around with the different "effects" options but this does not help.

I need to make the image clearer when it is Too dark or blurry.
    IP

What's the size (in pixels) of the image. TV screens have small resolution (aren't some like 300 x 400 dpi or something) compared to computer monitors so i imagine the size of the image might be small too. If it's a small image, it's hard to get it to look detailed if you increase the size to be larger on the computer ... the detail just isn't there to begin with.

I don't know much about video really (actually nothing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) but if you give the brightness/midtones/highlights feature from the format menu in PhotoImpact7 a try, it should help fix darness problems. Or try the Tone Map from the same are (similar feature). Don't forget the drop down box to pick master, red, green or blue and adjust their highs, mids and shadows.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/signature.jpg
    IP

I don't know anything about the Ulead video program. However, I'd tend to agree with David -- when you do a screen capture you're capturing at the monitor's resolution, which is usually 72 or 96 dpi. If your original image is of a higher dpi, that will degrade the quality of the image. If you try to make it bigger, you'll spread the pixels out even further and make it blurrier. To edit color and tones, in PI7 click the Highlight Midtone Shadow button, or in prior versions of PI, do Format, Tone Map. Sometimes darkening (negative value) or lightening (postive value) the midtones can work wonders.

Stephanie's PhotoImpact Tutorials
    PhotoImpact 7 Class Information
    IP

Oliver (from fellow of OZ)

I use single frames from video (MSPro / ULVS 6 /EZDV)all the time. You don't say whether the DV is progressive (frame) or conventional TV (interlaced).
    If its the former -just go to tone curve and "Auto" or as Stephanie says - alter the mid tone.
    If its interlaced - then I'm afraid you will have to go to P/Shop -or Paint shop pro and go filter/video and "deinterlace". I've been trying to getUlead to include this "efffect", since "Image Pals" (forerunner of PI) 7years ago.
    Considering the amount of software coming out from Ulead for the videofiles amongst us, I can't believe they have'nt woken up yet to this glaring ommision in PI
    Mail me direct for further help in printing same - if you wish.
    John
    IP

John, thanks for responding to that question because I don't know much about how video translates into PI. I think your suggestion for Ulead is a good one. I don't want to draw anyone away from this bb to my own, but I maintain a PI8 Wish List that Ulead checks regularly on the PhotoImpact Bulletin Board. You might want to post it over there.

Stephanie's PhotoImpact Tutorials
    PhotoImpact 7 Class Information
    IP