Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Hi Frank
    First off, my hat off to you for yet another breathtaking image........superb!
    I don't want to get bogged down in pedantics or elaborate sartorial discussion on this one, but thought I'd add a couple of thoughts.
    Are we saying that there is no skill in producing photographically accurate images? In which case let's trash all the Dutch still-life "masters".Are we saying that anyone given the right tools (paintbrush, vector program etc) can come up with the goods? In which case who the hell does that jumped up Da Vinci guy think he is anyway?Are we saying that art MUST be rigidly defined and categorised at all times? In which case count me out......I can die of boredom some other way!
    Nonsense, art has evolved and altered dramatically throughout history and across cultures. Art translates as "skill" in strictly dictionary terms after all and don't forget that the cult of the great artist held in any esteem beyond that of a bricklayer is only quite recent! I love many kinds of art and can appreciate many styles and approaches, so I find it hard to follow the decrying of your particular path. I doubt very much you're proclaiming yourself the latest Raphael. Let's just all get real and remember we're talking about drawings on a computer here....mostly for pleasure, not writing PhD Theses!Let's just get down to it and keep sharing these skills and images without getting bogged down in heavy head-banging disputes on "the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything" !!!!!
    It's only pixels on a tube mate!

cheers, Shotan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Eric: "steve newport is right...'defining what art is' [and is'nt] is by and large a futile pursuit."

And what grounds do you have for that sweeping claim? What do you think makes the concept of "art" any different regarding the possibility of defining it from any other concept?

Words without definitions are just a form of noise: sounds uttered without any clear meaning and understanding. That it is *hard* to properly define a term - especially higher-level abstractions - does not make it impossible.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

...Okay then I'll re-phrase that...how about trying to *reach a conclusion* is futile. However the debating process can be both highly informative and rewarding...even without conclusion-and that certainly includes you input Klaus!

Quote Klaus
    "What do you think makes the concept of "art" any different regarding the possibility of defining it from any other concept?"

Well Klaus i honestly *don't* think that art is somehow 'different' from any other [material or spiritual] concept, but then again how can anybody describe technical and artistic skills as though they were two seperate entities? There is too much common ground Klaus.

cheers
    Eric
    [a great fan of the German band KRAFTWERK, and their beautiful, moving, clinically technical music. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]