Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews

Britain's PC Format (March 2001) reviewed Xara X: "cheap, but fiendishly clever illustration program...small, fast, and powerful enough to give Illustrator and Freehand a run for their money."

#1 with a bullet any day now!!

Britain's PC Format (March 2001) reviewed Xara X: "cheap, but fiendishly clever illustration program...small, fast, and powerful enough to give Illustrator and Freehand a run for their money."

#1 with a bullet any day now!!

Now if we could only get some of the US press to give Xara some notice.

Seems all the great reviews are coming from across the pond.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...

Xara also got a very positive review in the Dutch magazine "PCActive", WITH a demoversion on the CDRom.

I wouldn't worry about the kudos coming from the "over there," since that's the land of Xara's birth. With all of the world posting here, Xara will take off just as Linux did...via word-of-mouth (and I tell every graphic designer I know to check it out, as well as point them to this board). Putting it in schools is a good step, too. When the industry giants like Adobe sit up and take notice, Microsoft will attempt to buy it and/or steal it's thunder and then you'll know it's arrived! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BTW, I daresay they are watching software reviews as avidly as users like us.

Smorg and everyone

That review is better than you realise.

Future publishing in general is so Mac, Adobe and more recently Macromedia biased it is has become (for me) really annoying.

In general they have never had a good word to say about graphics products that didn't originate on the Mac platform.

Here's a recent example on the computer arts web site that highlights the point.

Computer Arts Reference

I was so pleased to be enlightened to the fact that I don't use an industry standard application to earn a living [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

So for any Future publishing article to give such a glowing review should be regarded as an achievement.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

I used to buy anything Future Publishing from the UK, thinking they were so cutting edge...it started to annoy me, too, since I use CorelDRAW in my work as a typesetter and they never featured tutorials for it or any of the other "second-string" programs.

Thanks for the link, Peter. Scroll to the bottom of the page and under "Top Hits," you'll find a link for free Photoshop plug-ins.

Their software CD never annoyed me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I tried the "india ink" plugin with Xara. It crashed the poor dear faster than you can say "caution".

Too bad - it looked like a good one.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Darn...there's goes my plans to try it!

Ross, I just tried the India Ink plugin in XaraX and had no problems - what error did you get? Was it complaining that it couldn't find "plugin.dll" or was it more sinister?

Matt