Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have an that I am animating with just lighting. I want to control the size of the background versus the object when I export the animation-- that is, I want to control the ratio of the object size to the background size. I can't figure out how to do this. Can someone help?

Thanks!

I have an that I am animating with just lighting. I want to control the size of the background versus the object when I export the animation-- that is, I want to control the ratio of the object size to the background size. I can't figure out how to do this. Can someone help?

Thanks!

X3D6 scales the text to the frame size. If you want it bigger, or small, then change your frame size. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

John,

Thanks for your reply. I don't think I was being clear in what I am trying to do. I have no text, just an object. When I scale the frame, the object of course scales; however, when I export the animation, I can't figure out how to adjust the margin of background around the object. Let's say I export it and I get 30px about the object - but I only want 10px. How do I control that?

Eric

Hi, Eric.

Welcome to the boards. I'm not quite sure if I quite understand your problem, but here's what my answer is to the way I see it (Just keep in mind that my brain often interprets things a bit on the strange side. So, you're never quite sure what you'll get http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif). Under the export settings, there are 3 "size" selections:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Current Window size (exports the graphic to the size of the window/frame as you currently have it)<LI>Crop (automatically shrinks the frame size to fit the graphic as close as possible. Sometimes this setting works well, but other times it cuts off the shadow.<LI>User defined (this is where you can put in your own window size. Before you change it from the current window size setting, note the values there. Then adjust them accordingly. Xara will then do one of two things: If your object is set to "Fidth to width", Xara will resize it to the new width you specify. If the object is set to a specific point size, the object size will stay the same, regardless of the width you define.[/list]

I hope this makes sense, but more importantly, I hope it answered your question.

Art

Eric
    You don't have to have the shape fit the width of the window. In the text bar along the top, select the drop down menu that by default is set at 'Fit to Width'. Select a new size from the drop down. When you scale the window again, it won't alter the size of the shape. You can also type in a value in the drop down (up to a maximum of 288 Pts. So set the size of the shape to that required, then resize the window to an acceptable margin size.
    (There, Fence beat me to it!)
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks to all. This answer is very close to what I was trying to achieve. The key bit I was missing was the notion that gicing the object a point size fixed its size. The window can then be adjusted to get various sizes of margins.

The ONLY bit slightly missing (it seems) is that the object stays ruthlessly centered in the X and Y axes. So, adjusting for a larger bottom margin than top is precluded. Basically, I'd like to adjust the window, grab the object and then move it about to place it in the frame. But this gets me by the immediate problem. Thanks folks! Nice list!

Eric

Eric,

To move an object within the window, hold down Ctrl-Alt-Shift and, when the cursor turns to a 4-headed arrow with a small circle in it, click the object and drag it to wherever you desire.

Art

Thanks Art - I am still looking in the help file for that one! - much appreciated

Originally posted by ev:
    Thanks Art - I am still looking in the help file for that one! - much appreciated
    If your background is too big and you want to resize it to 'match' your final object size. Load it into a paint program and resize it to whatever your final size on the Xara is going to be.
    Is that an answer?