Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

There is a new version of the TWEAK UI available from Microsoft - for those of you who want to modify your OS a bit:

www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp

this link does NOT work with Opera, you must use Netscape or Internet Explorer (another good reason to hate Microsoft)

ciao,
    jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

There is a new version of the TWEAK UI available from Microsoft - for those of you who want to modify your OS a bit:

www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/powertoys/networking/nttweakui.asp

this link does NOT work with Opera, you must use Netscape or Internet Explorer (another good reason to hate Microsoft)

ciao,
    jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Another Opera fan eh? I'm finding version 5.01 quite good. I wonder if under preferences / connection / browser identification if you select "identify as MSIE5.0" is that would work?

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com

open Opera, go to preferences and indicate that Opera has to be "disguised" as Netscape or IE. I haven't tried it in the DeathStar (MS Site), but I know it often helps. I also left the "netscape.exe" you need for the Shockwave/Flash plugin in the opera folder, and this is great for other plugins too.

Jens, the PC is OK now. Once again the Jaguar it was before I put in this &"§"çÃ**µ£ network card that was as outdated as a Mammoth.

About IE5.5: must admit that it's a nice piece of work though. One of the difficult things with Opera is that it does not display text labels. BUT: it is the better Netscape (at this moment: NN6 is full of bugs, and 6.1 is a risk I won't take). IE is the most used because it is built in Windows, but you can remove it:

www.98lite.net tells you how.

To stop a little spyware on IE: turn off that "automatically search for updates", as the page it leads you to does not contain any updates and is probably some kind of counter.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Jens wrote: "(another good reason to hate Microsoft)"

There are NO good reasons at all to hate Microsoft: they created the marvellous product of human intelligence which now enriches our lives in countless ways! Bill Gates & Co. deserve every billion they have (and this is a very poor artist speaking).

Yes, I all to well know Windows is not perfect - but since Microsoft are under a GROSSLY UNJUST government attack, I strongly object to it when anyone says we have reason to "hate" them. (But let's not get into politics here!)

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

David,

even if you force Opera to identify as MS IE.0, this page won't work - I didn't check it, but I guess they are using DumbHTML (=DHTML). You know that I love apps with small footprints? BTW, you should try the version 5.02 - it's even better :-))

Erik,
    good to know that your machine is up and running again!

Klaus,
    go to qnx.com and check their OS. Download the 'demo' (it's a fully functioning OS including graphical user interface and web browser on a single, 1.44 MB Floppy!) and see how a GOOD OS ** can ** work if the developers care for small code.

Do you remember Acorn Computers? Xara developed the first XARA for Acorn - it ran on a small ARM processor, size of a thumbnail, no heating problems, and the whole OS was stored in a 2 meg EPROM - including grafical user interface and tons of basis apps and utilities. And best of all: The Acorn machines used to be a lot faster than the Winpampers on a Pentium.

Anyway, best thing is a pad of cartons and some pencils - they don't have bugs and don't need to be configured.

ciao,
    jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

qnx.com - I took a look, Jens, but it was a 25Mb download! And does it run Photoshop? XaraX? Expression? Painter? Quark? InDesign? Illustrator? No? Then it's of no use to me - or virtually anyone else in the graphics profession.

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Klaus,

the 25 meg version is the developer version with everthing included. PSD? XARA? Not yet. Considering how long Billyboy needed to arrive at W2K Pro, give them a couple more months - this OS is 2 years old. And you simply can recompile Linux apps - a tool for it is included.

Besides this - compare 25 megs to some 500 megs :-)

ciao,
    jens
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Klaus, you're right about the alternative OS's to Windows--they don't run enough great graphics software to be serious contenders, at least not currently. But this doesn't tell me that Windows is a great OS. It just tells me it's successful, the standard. Like Illustrator, as opposed to Xara.

It's just a shame that a sleek, stable, true-multitasking OS like, for instance, Linux, doesn't have the army of great software developers that are working on the Windows platform--an incredibly bloated, relatively buggy system owned by a mediocre geek (but brilliant marketer) more interested in world domination than in producing quality software.

I don't support the U.S. goverment's tack in prosecuting Microsoft, mainly because it doesn't particularly benefit users. But Microsoft's unspeakable wealth is in no way commensurate with the quality of their software. If money followed quality in the software world, Microsoft wouldn't even be in the top ten.

james

============================================
    James Riemermann
    MN Office of Tourism
    james.riemermann@state.mn.us

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com
    James Riemermann
    MN Office of Tourism
    james.riemermann@state.mn.us

For travel info: www.exploreminnesota.com