Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi all, hope you can help with the following.

I'm looking to buy a cheap graphics tablet and pen, but being on a budget I'll almost certainly be buying from ebay (UK) or a similar auction site.
    Having already had a look at a few items for sale, a Wacom is not out of the question, but are all Wacoms worth considering or are some to be avoided. Also, would I be wasting my time with a 5 x 4 or is this a reasonable size to begin with.
    I'm currently using CorelDRAW and am no expert, just looking to buy something that wiil offer a little more versatility than a mouse.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks...Sark

Hi ... I have a wacom 4x5 graphire and it's awesome. I'll talk a bit about size here.

When I was looking for one the thought of which size came to mind. Well I looked at my pencil sketchbooks and most of my sketches were small enough to actually fit on this area. So there was the answer for me. I tend to draw on paper with my wrist and hand and I don't really use my arm much (I suppose since I'm making smaller sketches). Anyway, for me the 4x5 is ideal ( I actually reduced the drawing area a bit within the wacom software to make the whole screen accessible with less motion).

As for Corel Draw, I don't know how useful it would be in that. Generally vector programs don't use pen pressure that much if at all (a major exception being Expression 2 in which it is much helpful for line widths). Of course PhotoPaint would make the wacom useful as most raster programs do.

But I feel a wacom graphire 4x5 is a wonderful tool and might be better for some people than a larger size.

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

www.qvcuk.com has a graphics tablet (from NISIS) as Today's Special Value. It is bundled with a complete boxed version of Paint Shop Pro 7.
    I'm not sure what size the tablet is though.
    £55 I think + P&P, but you would need to order today.

Joe
    http://www.therealperth.com
    An independent guide to Perth, Scotland
    Joe

Connectes via USB
    6 x 4.5 inch working area
    512 levels of pressure sensitivity

The QVC package also includes a R/F mouse!

Are Nisis tablets any good?

Joe
    Joe

What impresses me with Wacom is that they continue to offer new drivers. My KT-405 is many years old (Windows 3.0 ish) and yet the 2000 driver was produced and it works better than ever.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

I personally don't think anything lesst han a 6x8 is comfortable. But that's just my personal opinion. I've used all sizes available, and my favorite is the 9x12 (I have one at work and one at home). I replaced my original 6x8 and I can't even imagine going back to that size! (except for maybe with a travel notebook).

A graphics tablet DOES help with CorelDRAW quite a bit. In fact, after using a tablet for so long, I find I work so much faster than with a mouse. Sure, DRAW itself has minimal support for pressure sensitivity (only a couple of the tools use it), but the main advantage comes from being able to naturally control curves as you would with a pencil. Anyhow, that's my experince.

I honestly can't use ANY application without my Intuos tablet. Mice seem so...awkward now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I tried a cheaper tablet and I ended up going into debt, it was worth it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have an 'intuos 2' 6 X 8 Wacom tablet and coudn't be happier. In my mind it's more than paid for itself.

I use it for the finer applications of colors and what not in vector and paint programs and I like the size of the tablet and the cord is long enough so I can curl up in a chair in front of the screen and paint away. Perfect for my needs. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I tried the JamStudio tablet, BTW, and I still own it, it's sitting in the box packed away. It's abilities on my VERY capable computer were minimal. Slow draw, cursor would dissapear when I went too fast with it and all sorts of other irratating things. NOPE!! Not good!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Too bad, it was only like $35.00 including S&H on E-Bay!!!

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Still using my Wacom Intuos A4 after three years.
    Still the best thing since sliced bread.

Chris

Thanks for all the advice, it really is appreciated.

I've decided to spend a little more than I had originally intended so should be able to afford a 6 X 8 which will be fine for my needs, am just pleased to hear there are no issues with the Wacom's and driver support is reliable (this is something that has already cost me with my scanner).

Thanks again for the comments

Best Regards...Sark

Oh, a note about Wacom stability and drivers: I had been eagerly awaiting my 9x12 Intuos when they came out (USB version). I was playing one of those 3d games when the FedEx arrived. In all my excitment I never even bothered to close the 3d game (full screen and all). I simply unplugged my old tablet and plugged the new one in. And what do you know - it worked right out of the box. No setup, no nothing. It was beautiful.

I think my Wacom tablet is the most stable piece of hardware out of the whole computer. I would say the keyboard is more likely to have driver issues than the tablet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]