Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Web Designer 20 - Design Gallery weidness

I just upgraded from webdesigner 19 to webdesigner 20 (perpetual). It loads much quicker and looks good.

I added a folder with some of my website layouts to the local designs gallery through the "Add Designs From Disc" option. After it asked to create a catalogue index, i see my folder and it contained my website layouts. When I exited the app and came back in, the design gallery was blank and missing all the standard design components except for the one folder I added. I then see that all these are stored under Program Files\Xara\Webdisigner 20 and added them in through the add deigns from disc option but now the various components are inside long folder names. I can drag the individual components out and things are pretty much like original but if I leave the program and come back in, all the components I moved are gone and back inside the long folder names. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app but all I get is the long folder names with the original components inside of them. Is there a configuration file/folder that I can remove after uninstalling the app so that it removes the configuration of the design gallery so that a clean reinstall can be done? I am curious if I get the same thing after a clean install is done.

Thank you.
    Mike

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 20 - Design Gallery weidness

Mike, I don't have your v20 but I did play around with the earlier v19, noticing differences that may affect you.

In decoupling from Elements (old Online Content Catalogue), Xara changed the v19 catindex.txt files to another similar filename and extension (c.f., xwdl_catindex.txt, xpl_catindex.txt, xpgdl_catindex.txt). Xara may have done similar for v20 Perpetual.
    I suspect when you use the Disc designs Button, the functionality here was not changed and you get the Designs gallery now filled with files linked to your inputted path, indexed into catindex.txt files and the gallery is only looking to your new path.

In Windows Registry for my XPro+, I have noticed another entry in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro Sub x64\Sub\Options\Libraries, which might be connected with all this.

Ignorance is never bliss so raise a call with Xara and ask for an answer.
    We will be more than happy to hear you have a solution.

Acorn

P.S., I got round the long path names by Mapping it to a network drive.
    Last edited by Acorn; 22 April 2024 at 02:17 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 20 - Design Gallery weidness

Thank you for the reply Acorn. That seems to be what I have going on here. It almost seems like once I used the Disc Designs button for importing my prior websites, it may of initialized something where it now only uses whatever gets assigned through the Disc Catalogue button and lost the original default libraries. It is not a big deal since I am able to add them back in, although they are now inside folders with very long path names (I'm lucky I noticed which folder the Add Disc Content started off in otherwise I would of never found all the original libraries). Your solution of mapping the drive would at least make the filepath shorter.

Thank you for the suggestion.
    Mike