Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Talkgraphics enforced password reset

Please, some grownup, turn off the enforced 180-day password reset requirement for this forum.

There is no reason whatsoever that you can consider a password "safe" for 179 days, and not for 181 days.

Just because there's a tickbox in your admin dashboard in this very outdated forum software which turns on a stupid feature, you don't need to tick it.

Xara is so hard up that it's about to start renaming its products again, so perhaps we can crowd fund the licence fee for a new version of vBulletin. I'll put in $50 to start.

Default Re: Talkgraphics enforced password reset

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Please, some grownup, turn off the enforced 180-day password reset requirement for this forum.
    There is no reason whatsoever that you can consider a password "safe" for 179 days, and not for 181 days.
    Just because there's a tickbox in your admin dashboard in this very outdated forum software which turns on a stupid feature, you don't need to tick it.
    Xara is so hard up that it's about to start renaming its products again, so perhaps we can crowd fund the licence fee for a new version of vBulletin. I'll put in $50 to start.
    Daniel, if you wish to PM me, I will provide chapter and verse around the necessity for having a Password Reset. I was amongst the most vocal in pushing for a stricter one and the 180-day limit was longer than personally was after.

Your conflation with Xara's poor product naming does not develop your argument and I have seen no recent signs for another name fest.
    If there was a later vBulletin version that Xara would fund, we could be less draconian but we have what we have. For one, I would match your contribution. Xara has chosen not to move up to vBulletin Cloud ($30/m) despite Mod pressure.
    Yes, it is very old. No, it is not a 'tickbox' exercise.
    It is not your password safety you need to worry about, it is the abuse from other accounts that wish to exploit lax password management, amongst other matters.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

bots etc are a real issue with TG, not helped by the old vBulletin

in fact it is so old that, unless memory is letting me down you can use the same password again the next time, so if that is the case you only need to remember two and alternate them

or you could use a password a manager; me I prefer to remember them, I have always been keen mnemonics....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Daniel, if you wish to PM me, I will provide chapter and verse around the necessity for having a Password Reset.... it is not a 'tickbox' exercise.
    Thanks for the offer but I'm OK. Sounds like a symptom of insiting on running on old software.

Knowingly running old software which is not kept up to date would be difficult to defend if there was a data breach. Someone at some Xara company must be the Data Controller and is taking chances that I certainly wouldn't with that one.

I have seen no recent signs for another name fest.
    It can't just be me getting Alfonso's emails surely. We'll find out on Monday apparently. They're going to grandfather me because apparently implying that I'm old is "our way of saying thank you" for having used the software for so long. Maybe I have, and I bought my first version in about 1997 and most of them since... but I was only 17 then. I guess it's apt for the software that my wife insists sounds like my mistress makes me a grandfather at the age of only 44.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    or you could use a password a manager
    Of course - I wouldn't be without Bitwarden - between multiple PCs, Macs, and smartphones of both flavours, I'd be lost without it. Like most people, I just stick a 1 or a ! at the end every time it has to be changed, and save the new one.

if it is alfonso's 'grandfathering' email I think it is, that refers to xara cloud
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Talkgraphics enforced password reset

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Thanks for the offer but I'm OK. Sounds like a symptom of insiting on running on old software.
    Knowingly running old software which is not kept up to date would be difficult to defend if there was a data breach. Someone at some Xara company must be the Data Controller and is taking chances that I certainly wouldn't with that one.

It can't just be me getting Alfonso's emails surely. We'll find out on Monday apparently. They're going to grandfather me because apparently implying that I'm old is "our way of saying thank you" for having used the software for so long. Maybe I have, and I bought my first version in about 1997 and most of them since... but I was only 17 then. I guess it's apt for the software that my wife insists sounds like my mistress makes me a grandfather at the age of only 44.

Of course - I wouldn't be without Bitwarden - between multiple PCs, Macs, and smartphones of both flavours, I'd be lost without it. Like most people, I just stick a 1 or a ! at the end every time it has to be changed, and save the new one.
    @Daniel, fine don't bother yourself but further speculation gets none of us anywhere; it is nothing to do with data breaches or the integrity of the vBulletin version being used.

Alfonso's 'grandfather' email was pointing out that your product (here, you advise you have 'Xara Pro 6') may be behind the curve and you could use Cloud with the newer Plus products to better effect. You can still draw your pension with XDP6 for as long as you care and you are not being retired or dumped by your 'mistress'.
    Xara is keen to retain past customers and so there are two changes afoot that do not alter the names of any packages: the migration, with remaining fee, from Magix legacy to a Plus subscription, which is not for all (especially if you are still on XDP6); and, the additional accesses to Cloud, again, not for all.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

you advise you have 'Xara Pro 6'
    That just shows when I last edited my profile. I've edited it now, to what I think the current name is. I've upgraded every single time there's been any new software, except for the tripe Magix years when it was perhaps every other time. I've been on Cloud Team3+ or something for the last few years, downgrading to only the single seat licence a couple of months ago after I didn't need the three licences.

On asking Alfonso what his email meant, Matt has replied and it sounds like everyone on Cloud Pro+ is being upgraded to what was Team3+ anyway, for the same price.

The Xara Cloud plans are getting new names to reflect better our business strategy, target audience, or overall brand identity. This is a courtesy pre-launch email so you are aware of the changes before they go live next week.

Your current plan is Cloud Pro+, the bundle of Designer Pro+ and Xara Cloud. All Cloud plans going forward will get up to three (3) users to start. The new plans will differentiate by features, not single user vs multi-user, again to better reflect the Xara Cloud customer base.

There will be no change to your renewal cost. Just a new name to the plan.

The only thing that I might add. I don’t mind changing my password, but any time I’ve run into trouble there’s nobody to contact. I had trouble changing everything a while back, and since I have no emails of anyone, I clicked “contact” the moderator and instead of getting Acorn I got a splash page for Xara.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Info Re: Talkgraphics enforced password reset

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    The only thing that I might add. I don’t mind changing my password, but any time I’ve run into trouble there’s nobody to contact. I had trouble changing everything a while back, and since I have no emails of anyone, I clicked “contact” the moderator and instead of getting Acorn I got a splash page for Xara.
    Bill, there is no '"contact" the Moderator' and it definitely would not come to me.

@mb365, Matt, at the bottom footer of any TG page is a Contact Us link that is now dead: http://www.xara.com/support/talkgraphics/.
    Clearly not helpful.

@All - For any TG problem, raise with Xara: https://www.xara.com/contact-us/

Acorn

I have seen no recent signs for another name fest.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cloud new names.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	134773

The Cloud packages got new names today, but Xara Designer Pro+ escaped the retitling this time.