Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem with the Xara Pro+ built in uploader

Again I'm having trouble with the Xara uploader on Pro+ - I really like it, and I don't like filezilla - partly because I have trouble using it. Here is a note I got from my SP regarding uploading.

Quote ....
    The Xara uploader may not work on our newer servers.

Do you know if TLS 1.2 or TLS 1.3 is enabled for Xara?
    Anything less will not work with our server. You may need to reach out to their support for further information.

Or you may need to switch to a different FTP client, like Filezilla." end wquote

I have no idea what tls is, or if Xara is able to use it. I'm getting a partial upload using the settings included, but nothing with stand ftp

Many thanks if you can illuminate on the problem.

-Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara upload.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	134739  
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Problem with the Xara Pro+ built in uploader

Bill, can you use SFTP Port 22 instead?
    SFTP doesn't use TLS.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, can you use SFTP Port 22 instead?
    SFTP doesn't use TLS.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn, but that's not going to work either. I wrote a message to Matt - I just don't understand what the SP has done, or what Xara is not doing. I hate like "H" to have to export > open FZ > copy all the files > and move to public_html. What a royal pain !
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill, rather than using Filezilla, you could use WinSCP. It's free.

It can be used for transferring files like Filezilla, but can also be used from the command line. In the past I've used the command line to automate transfers (so that they run at set times each day, to download or upload files) - but you could have a script that you just double-click on demand. If you exported your website files from Xara Designer to the same folder on your computer each time, you'd be able to double-click on a .bat script on your PC and it'd use WinSCP to upload all of those new files to your hosting account automatically.

You could even assign a Windows shortcut key to run the .bat script so that you don't even need to double-click anything.

If you contact me privately I'll give you a hand with getting it going, and once you've seen it working, you could report back here for future users who find your messages and have the same kind of problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    I hate like "H" to have to export > open FZ > copy all the files > and move to public_html. What a royal pain !
    Set it up once, good to go forever after:

Set FZ to open in the correct window (pic 1)
    Dump your stuff (pic 2)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bwood.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	134744 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bwood2.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	134745

call me old fashioned [because I am] but I have spent a lot of time in the past uploading stuff [but not websites] to servers, and I like FTP because you can [if you wish] watch what it is doing whilst it is doing it and hopefully see where it went wrong

pressing a button and expecting it to work 'just like that' still seems to me like a leap of faith.. but things are more robust now than back in the day, or at least should be
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

@Bill - I'm on @CHris M & @handrawn's view on this.
    FileZilla offers so much more over Xara's in-built approach, e.g., Overwrite if newer matches Xara's Fast Publish.
    Key for me is the ability to examine the Web Export files locally as well as being able to park a website into a sub-folder or run versions and link into other uploaded web resource folders.

Can't easily be done in the XDA and definitely not in Xara Cloud.

I export into a folder where I point Fenix: Fenix 2.0.0, Author: Corey Butler, Fenixwebserver.com so I can run multiple site at any time on my local machine without Xara getting in the way.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I’ll get the hang of it.

I think it’s finding the right files to upload. Once I export the website it will overwrite the files in that folder. Then I upload all in that folder. Initially it did not work.

Then the SP did this. Quote “ I have moved the /index_html_files/ folder to the public_html folder and the site seems to be loading now”

Question .., do I have to upload the /index_html_files/ folder to the public_html folder each time ?

It’s not FZ per say. If you understand my problem it’s choosing the right files to upload.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill, if "the public_html folder" is where it works then yes.

If you are given FTP credentials to get to the server for your site and you need to load into "the public_html folder" then you type in public_html into the Sub-folder box:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22-publishing-img5.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	134747

FileZilla does the exact same job.

Your HTML files will be immediately under your public_html folder and index_html_files folder will be there too.
    Acorn

Thanks Acorn - Chris M, and Handrawn. I've got the hang of filezilla. In the future Xara are working on the uploader to see what gives. FZ is working well for me. Once the index_html_files were moved everything's fine.
    I'm still reading any info on FZ.

Thanks again,
    Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design