Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Front Page nav question

I'm trying to bring a country music guy into the 21st century - but still carrying on with some traditional graphics.

My opening page will be one image - stretched - a logo - 2 lines of text with some staggered automation - and a little graphic that says "One Way". Id like no footer and no nav on this opening page. I think I'll have to deal with viewports, but a later discussion

The demographic here is 50+. Id like viewer to click "one way" and that'll take him/her to the music and news page.

Here's the question -- will the viewer understand clicking on the "one way" sign -- or to I need a menu, or a dreaded "click me, or here" type of thing.

I know the page is large - but the rest of the site will be quite svelt. Enclosed pic of page - and project file

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krause opening page.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	134657  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Front Page nav question

I think the way you have it with the one way arrow might work. But my firm belief is the harder you make for your visitor to figure out what she/he is supposed to do the easier you make it for him/her to go elsewhere.

Is the one way sign a coded message e.g. religious? Or is there a specific reason for the sign that his visitors will understand?

If the one way is not justified, perhaps a simple invitation, C'mon In.

Bill, I would time the page to jump to the real deal after your animation finishes. That leaves not doubt of where to go.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I think the way you have it with the one way arrow might work. But my firm belief is the harder you make for your visitor to figure out what she/he is supposed to do the easier you make it for him/her to go elsewhere.

Is the one way sign a coded message e.g. religious? Or is there a specific reason for the sign that his visitors will understand?

If the one way is not justified, perhaps a simple invitation, C'mon In.
    I’ve been trying to th8nk of a phrase like that for about three days. Thanks Gary
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, I would time the page to jump to the real deal after your animation finishes. That leaves not doubt of where to go.

Acorn
    Now you’re talking! And you realize what my next question is …….
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Now you’re talking! And you realize what my next question is …….
    Bill, simplest is put the front page first as 'index' and you main site page as 'splash'. In the the Splash page head put <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="5; url='index.htm(l)'" /> and Preview. The Splash page will display for 5 second then automatically jump to the index page. The (l) depends if you publish .htm or .html.
    The advantage is those who save the website URL without a page bypass the Splash altogether.

You could set the whole graphic to also have a jump Link to index to short-circuit the process.

It might be better to set up the index page with a Splash pop-up that appears on load and closes on X click.
    Here too, you could make the whole Splash have a Close Link.
    The advantage is the index page content is loading behind the scenes (sort of).

I would go further and set up LocalStorage to only show the Splash a limited number of times.
    Add a Hide the Splash button to also control this.
    You could add a Splash it! button on index to reset this.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'll just leave this here.

>>> index (auzlink.net.au) <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post

Magic as usual Chris!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Thanks You Acorn!
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post

Chris, question as always. I’m not understanding the length of the first page. Let’s say the page is w-1000, and length is a hero size, I’ll end up with white space after the image. If the first page is simply one image with text and a button do I stretch that image vertically to let’s say h=1000 or something. Mobile is no problem, but desktop and tablet page height is a problem. Thx
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design