Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Version 23.7 Blocks

@Chris, I feel your pain.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Chris, in a Freeform WB you can resize objects so that the WB wrapper exceeds the page width.
    If I scale right, the WB right-side extends beyond the page. Ditto, to the left with an origin shift as well.

I have my Variant set to W:720px.
    If I scale back the shapes so all fit on the page, the WB resets back to (0, 0) and all is right in the world.

With a FlexGroup, the origin is fixed at (0, 0) and the WB extends right only.
    Aligning things back is far more problematic.
    The simplest start is to select the FlexGroup and set its width to 720px.
    You then find things like text have scaled and the WB it wider than is ought to be.
    This is where you have to resize and reposition the BlockBackground.

One small user oops! and a cascade of hurt.
    None of this seems to be covered in v23.8 > Help > Modular website tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4azS...SZMW7&index=40).

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 03 April 2024 at 05:11 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Mine thus far. billwood.ca the splash page is the home page. I do like the block layout for "buildings", although we can do this with smart duplication. Buttons can lead to a full page on a particular building. All very simple thus far.
    Mobile is different. One can adjust the images in the flex block. The opening pic on home is jacked as far vertical as it can go. All the building pics are added on the mobile view. The logo is incomplete. No footer as yet.

I believe that Xara has come to the conclusion that 70-80% of viewing is now on smart phones; noting their work on the phone variant is well done in templates. Perhaps they'll come out with some WB phone designs. Certainly see the Michal influence. Perhaps I must look at a temp that almost fits, then rework; but where's the fun in that
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    With a FlexGroup, the origin is fixed at (0, 0) and the WB extends right only.
    Aligning things back is far more problematic.
    The simplest start is to select the FlexGroup and set its width to 720px.
    You then find things like text have scaled and the WB it wider than is ought to be.
    This is where you have to resize and reposition the BlockBackground.

Acorn
    I'm not sure if I've been down this track. I have definitely resized and moved the block background, which sometimes does one thing, then does another, which only goes to show I don't understand what I'm doing.

I'll update to today's release of 23.8 and revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Mine thus far. billwood.ca the splash page is the home page. I do like the block layout for "buildings", although we can do this with smart duplication. Buttons can lead to a full page on a particular building. All very simple thus far.
    Mobile is different. One can adjust the images in the flex block. The opening pic on home is jacked as far vertical as it can go. All the building pics are added on the mobile view. The logo is incomplete. No footer as yet.

I believe that Xara has come to the conclusion that 70-80% of viewing is now on smart phones; noting their work on the phone variant is well done in templates. Perhaps they'll come out with some WB phone designs. Certainly see the Michal influence. Perhaps I must look at a temp that almost fits, then rework; but where's the fun in that
    It's 23.8 day today, Bill. Saddle up. We ride at dawn...after coffee...and a bit of breakfast...We ride at 10:00...ish.

@ChrisM
    On post #30 you had an attachment. I am interested in the art work in that attachment. Who is the artist and is there a site where it can be viewed.
    thanks,
    sunland

Quote Originally Posted by sunland View Post
    @ChrisM
    On post #30 you had an attachment. I am interested in the art work in that attachment. Who is the artist and is there a site where it can be viewed.
    thanks,
    sunland
    That would be CaroleClaude T. Her site is CaroleClaude T and her Instagram (which she doesn't use much) is CaroleClaude T (@crazeedoodles)

>>> AUZLINK <<<

Alrighty. 23.8 had plenty of fixes listed in the Blocks section, and I had a site to build for a customer. I fired up Xara, opened File > New > hovered over the Blocks entry, wussed out and clicked a traditional site.

Once I'd finished, I set about making the same in a Blocks site. My theory was to copy from the traditional and drop into various blocks. I ended up with a single page. BUT, I still believe most of the problems is me making it harder than it should be by insisting on learning by trial and error.

I keep changing my mind about whether Flexible Blocks or Freestyle Blocks are the way to go. This time, I'm siding with the devs and saying it's horses for courses. I used Flexible Blocks and dropped objects using ALT to allow them to behave as a Freestyle Block when needed. This is fine until I moved things around, then things fell apart.

I went with @bwoods suggestion of starting with the mobile variant because I'd always started with the main before, and that ended badly.

Header is rectangle stretch full width, logo SVG with oval background. None of it would go in the Block, it just sat on top. Finally realised it was because the objects were set to Repeat On All Pages. Before the update this was acceptable, now it can't be done.
    Second Block would contain a Stretch Full Width photo with a text area on top. This caused me problems before, but now it did exactly what it was supposed to do.
    Third Block has 4 small images with a line of text under each image. I should have grouped them. the Block tossed them around like Snickers wrapper in a gale.
    Fourth Block would contain 2 lines Stretch Full Width and a text block. Observation - the 2 lines were the width of the page. The Block will set padding whether you like it or not. The result is the Block gets stretched outside the width of the page. I have yet to find out how to reduce the width of a Block. I always end up deleting it and starting again.
    Fifth Block had 2 tailor made Text Panels from Elements, 3 on the main variant. I click the eye in the Page & Layer Gallery to hide the third one for the mobile variant.
    Sixth Block was a single text area. Even I couldn't break that!
    The Footer gave me most grief. I always have a different footer on main and mobile. Moving things around, I managed to duplicate the text, have the logo detach itself from its background and the spray gun declare war on the Dulux logo.

The third and fourth Blocks would have not had a problem if I had used Freestyle instead of Flexible Blocks, and the others behaved as intended.

I had a couple of unexplained weird things that were easily fixed and a couple of Houdini disappearing things.
    Pic 1 - dropping 2 images, then 2 text areas, then 2 images. The was padding automatically added for the first 2 images, but the second.
    Pic 2 - top half is how it should be, bottom half is how it arranged itself.
    Pic 3 - Houdini visits the Page & Layer Gallery.
    Pic 4 - Houdini visits the Block.
    Pic 5 - footer explosion. The mobile variant
    Pic 6 - footer from the mobile variant. I have no idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara01.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	134813 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara02.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	134814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara03.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	134815 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara04.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	134816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara05.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	134817 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara06.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	134818

Thanks for posting Chris. Lots of great work. Your miles ahead of me. For those following and just using blocks check the YouTube instructions first. As well I’ve posted this link before from Michal. https://xaratemplates.com/blocks2.html
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

I'm becoming more confident, and with that confidence comes clarity.

I rebuilt the above page from scratch. Yes, I copied the layout, so I was much quicker, but I wasn't bringing any problems from the first attempt into this one.

Mixing Flexible with Freestyle, I had no 'where'd-it-go' moments, and nothing that made me delete a Block and restart. In short, it all worked as expected. Now, onto the niggles:
    ONE) Marquee selecting. I know I can use SHIFT click, or select from the P&L Gallery, but the amount of times I instinctively drew a box...
    TWO) Moving multiple objects in a Block. I've never taken drugs, but if someone asked me what I thought it would be like, I would tell them to open Xara.
    THREE) Snap to objects. Aligning things in the Freestyle blocks is sheer guesswork, especially when combined with the above.

Things I feel certain Xara will add in the very next update, probably within a week =/
    ONE) Key press and click to add an object into a Block. As an example - I paste an object, it appears over the block, but not IN the Block. I position, colour, resize, and then I have to drag it away from the Block, release it, select it again, and drag it back into the Block again.
    TWO) Toggle from Freestyle to Flexible, and visa-versa.
    THREE) Ditch the forced variant idea, or explain why it's a necessity.