Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Why are phone sites slower than desktop sites

I’ve not only noticed this with my designs, but with many users. My desktop pages remain in the high green, but mobile pages are in the high amber according to page insights. For me it appears to be rather common.

My latest is Nipawinmuseum.org. I’ve yet to do some image naming.

I’ve used placeholders for any hero images, designed my own navigation, and slow loading on any YouTube or maps for directions, and still the pages load a little slower on smart phones. Not drastically slow, but in the amber range. I’m using the same images on the phone variant. Fonts are Raleway and open sans.

I’ve finally found the sweet spot for my images on the desktop. I’ve used all the tips and tricks from our pros on the board.

I just can’t get the phone viewing into green on page insights. Could this be a general rule?
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Why are phone sites slower than desktop sites

Bill, the main one is Lighthouse usually simulates 3G speeds. Mobile browsers are more picky and use more CSS browser code to render, usually around image resizing, and phones are not are powerful as desktops.

I recently engaged with Xara about it XC provision of HTML email templates.
    email clients are very fussy and for Xara to achieve this is a great boost for those whose clients want email as one of their provisions.
    I notice one thing that I asked Xara about - the Xara design uses the table tool but the rendered output is an HTML <table> tag construct, a thing i have been chasing for years.
    No answer from Xara if it intended to change the Plus applications HTML Filter plug-in to do the same.

The other thing that blew me over was the HTML rendered without any of the standard JS and CSS support files. It was just html plus images.
    Consequently, Lighthouse gave 100% Desktop and 92% Mobile performance. The images remained a PNG/JPG regardless of settings to WebP.

So sometime, a lightweight mobile render may be on the cards.
    Perhaps too main and Variant will disappear and were have Main in the direct URL and the 'variant' as a separate render in a sub-folder (.../m/...).
    Code would be needed to toggle between or just a button Desktop/Mobile Mode.
    Much cleaner.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat