Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Transfer existing xara website to a new template?

I'm sorry, maybe my search criteria made no sense, but I can't seem to find out if it's possible to move my current Xara website over to a new template somehow? The website is http://beyondthebeltway.com and I simply want to change up the look of it. Is there anyway to move current text and images to a new template easily with minimal redesign? Todd

Lightbulb Re: Transfer existing xara website to a new template?

Quote Originally Posted by trnhockey1 View Post
    I'm sorry, maybe my search criteria made no sense, but I can't seem to find out if it's possible to move my current Xara website over to a new template somehow? The website is http://beyondthebeltway.com and I simply want to change up the look of it. Is there anyway to move current text and images to a new template easily with minimal redesign? Todd
    Todd, no there is no simple approach.

Two approaches:
    1. Rather than port into a new template, bring in the new design features into a working page and carefully match Theme Colours and Paragraph Styles to ensure consistency across all pages.
    2. You have built up your site over many iterations and you probably need to offload all its unwanted baggage.
      • Establish page widths; you may want to add a variant.
      • Add in vertical guidelines as a minimum for the home page.
      • Create all your named pages.
      • Reconstruct your Navbar/Button bar and apply.
      • Copy across all repeating objects; only rework when you have a stable layout.
      • For text, consider copying to a plain text editor and then bring in to your new font and text area; you otherwise end up with even more fonts and varieties and much harder to tidy.
      • Always aim for fewer fonts and a clear hierarchy of Paragraph Styles.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Transfer existing xara website to a new template?

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Todd, no there is no simple approach.

Two approaches:
    1. Rather than port into a new template, bring in the new design features into a working page and carefully match Theme Colours and Paragraph Styles to ensure consistency across all pages.
    2. You have built up your site over many iterations and you probably need to offload all its unwanted baggage.
      • Establish page widths; you may want to add a variant.
      • Add in vertical guidelines as a minimum for the home page.
      • Create all your named pages.
      • Reconstruct your Navbar/Button bar and apply.
      • Copy across all repeating objects; only rework when you have a stable layout.
      • For text, consider copying to a plain text editor and then bring in to your new font and text area; you otherwise end up with even more fonts and varieties and much harder to tidy.
      • Always aim for fewer fonts and a clear hierarchy of Paragraph Styles.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn

Default Re: Transfer existing xara website to a new template?

Acorn, I forgot to ask one question. Why when I go to my design gallery and click "More Online" does it take me to a page with different languages on it? What happened to the gallery? Does this mean I need to renew my subscription or has something else changed?