Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Problems Opening Recently Purchased Designer Pro

I've turned away people who have asked for my help when they're using unsupported versions of Windows before. It's harsh, I know, but I would consider it professionally irresponsible to do anything to help someone continue to use software that could be dangerous to them.

Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I too would be interested in what Xara says about installing Xara Designer Pro V20 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've also tried installing it and came up with the Authentication error message 12157 and wouldn't go beyond. Daniel, I understand your concern about running unsupported versions of Windows but almost everything I own in my life is unsupported, my 36 yr old Toyota Tercel 4WD 6 speed wagon with the 40 km/hr rubber bumpers, my 34 yr old Cannondale hybrid bicycle with super wide ratio 21 speeds, my 5 yr old Keen Gypsum II MID WP hiking boots which are way more flexible and comfortable than any of the new boots Keen makes, my 13 year old Toshiba Qosmio X500 laptop with 2 HDD and 18.4 inch full HD screen which is still super fast, and I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit still on 5 of my computers because I can't afford to pay the $3,000 yearly subscriptions to run new programs and I really like this old stuff rather than the new and made worse ones. Many modern developments are seriously missing features which make them almost impossible to use or prices that are not affordable for part time use. And so many people take chances on reliability and safety because of this dilemma. Windows 10/11 does not have an XP Mode to run my $15,000 of programs that are up to 35 years old. It's not clear how practical the new Windows 11 virtual machines are and they have the same safety dilemma. Does it make sense to put everything we buy like houses, cars, computers, cellphones, and appliances in the junk pile when they reach 3 years old? There has to be a solution for keeping many old things going.

they say you should never gamble with money you cannot afford to lose and software, that is insecure, is a gamble

worse it may have knock on effects for others too

your choice though; if you keep it properly sandboxed off the internet fair enough; it isn't just the OS, it's the firewall, AV, browsers et al...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ben, many PCs running Windows 7 will happily run Windows 10. I've not seen any, from hundreds, that couldn't.

Windows 10 itself, though, will get no security updates after October next year. That's more than 10 years after it was released.

Nobody is constantly trying to compromise your old car, bike, or boots whenever you leave it parked, or trying to get them to go to places automatically, thousands of times an hour, and on every street that you travel down.

Having an old desk lamp, leather briefcase, pair of shoes, hat, jacket etc is not a problem. I'm sure everyone has something old. Your old car won't be as fuel efficient as a new one, nor be as safe in a collision.

Having an old computer connected to the internet is not sensible. It doesn't matter why you do it. Arguably in the UK and EU, it wouldn't be legal for a business to do so - because having a known-insecure system connected to the internet which holds personal data belonging to others would not be considered as you having taken all reasonable precautions to protect the data you hold.

ah yes, that bings us to... insurance....

even as a private individual, what would an insurance company say, or a bank, if your loss was so compounded....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Wiens View Post
    I too would be interested in what Xara says about installing Xara Designer Pro V20 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. I've also tried installing it and came up with the Authentication error message 12157 and wouldn't go beyond. Daniel, I understand your concern about running unsupported versions of Windows but almost everything I own in my life is unsupported, my 36 yr old Toyota Tercel 4WD 6 speed wagon with the 40 km/hr rubber bumpers, my 34 yr old Cannondale hybrid bicycle with super wide ratio 21 speeds, my 5 yr old Keen Gypsum II MID WP hiking boots which are way more flexible and comfortable than any of the new boots Keen makes, my 13 year old Toshiba Qosmio X500 laptop with 2 HDD and 18.4 inch full HD screen which is still super fast, and I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit still on 5 of my computers because I can't afford to pay the $3,000 yearly subscriptions to run new programs and I really like this old stuff rather than the new and made worse ones. Many modern developments are seriously missing features which make them almost impossible to use or prices that are not affordable for part time use. And so many people take chances on reliability and safety because of this dilemma. Windows 10/11 does not have an XP Mode to run my $15,000 of programs that are up to 35 years old. It's not clear how practical the new Windows 11 virtual machines are and they have the same safety dilemma. Does it make sense to put everything we buy like houses, cars, computers, cellphones, and appliances in the junk pile when they reach 3 years old? There has to be a solution for keeping many old things going.
    Ben, a small ask. A running commentary with no separation of ideas into paragraphs actually makes for very hard reading on a vertical monitor. Try to think of those in the community with visual differences.

Essentially you are eschewing a new PC because you have invested a shedload of capital on old software that you do not need or want to replace.
    W7 is not reliable or safe nor are your old PCs and Tosh. They will die.

@handrawn is by far more sensible than I am as he uses virtual machines for his stuff, making the hosing PC & OS irrelevant, even for W11.
    It sounds like you need a server and farm out VMs to a small number of clients (PC & laptop).

We do not buy houses and junk them after 3 years. Ditto cars, for the majority. Technology is fickle and purchases driven by marketing; I go for quality and can repair most, even PCs.

On software, I disagree that programs have gotten worse.
    I promote PortableApp for free software on Windows and Linux has vast quantities of freeware, far better that Windows.

You need to perform some proper risk assessments before your past investments vanish.

It would also help to take such discussions away into the Off-topic chat Forum in future.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat