Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Perspective Envelope = Low Res Images + Fix

I've never found the solution to pixelated images when applying a perspective envelope.

I have however, today, found a fix using a bit of logic.

I did my envelope as normal, then though if I want to increase the DPI use a filter and set it in the bar - it worked!

In the below example I used the Tilt Shift effect, but set to zero effect, which gave me the option to increase the resolution, which I did and it fixes everything perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illustration3.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	360.4 KB 
ID:	134609

Now the question is, have I been missing something somewhere - because I did look through all the optioons and couldn't find anything?

Cheers

Chris

Default Re: Perspective Envelope = Low Res Images + Fix

menu utilities > options > effects and plugins tab is where you have the option to set the higher resolution as default, and also lock effects if you wish
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn,

As I am understanding what Chris is saying, he has pixelation when using the mold tool with a perspective. He corrected this by using a effect. The resolution setting you showed is only for effects applied not a mold perspective. Am I missing something?

Update:
    Okay, I went and played with what Chris has done. He applied a perspective and then add the live effect to it and then adjusted the dpi setting on the live effect. Handrawn's suggestion would automatically set the dpi.

Now the question is, how did Chris figure this out. Logic, I don't think so. Who would think to do these steps.

Ray
    Last edited by RKissane; 22 February 2024 at 02:07 PM.

Chris mentioned using Tilt Shift which is a live effect and I read his post to mean he had increased the resolution of that effect, having applied the effect to the mould

if you increase the resolution of the effect that is applied to the mould, you indirectly increase the resolution applied to the mould; there is no such feature for the mould tool itself

worth pointing out it will not increase the resolution beyond that of the source image - the issue is that there is some degredation of the source image when the mould tool is applied, this has always been the case with bitmaps; this appears to get round it

@Chris - I checked this out and it seems to work I have my effects set at 300 dpi by default
    Nothing lasts forever...

I updated my last post at the same time Handrawn explained what was going, so we kind of crossed posted.

Ray

@RAY you edited your post

if you use effects a lot [I used to] and you know which ones you can apply without any noticable effect, it could be called a logical step, certainly one that might occur to you to try....
    Nothing lasts forever...

I always start with a higher resolution than needed. But these days, I would probably bring the image after processing into Topaz Gigapixel. This utility upscales so incredibly well.

I'm able to take images that are 500px x 500px and blow them up to 2400px with beautiful results.

The attached was created with your low res image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illustration3-gigapixel-hq-height-2400px.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	134612  

Hello everyone! Just wanted to add a few thoughts of mine regarding the subject

The easiest solution IMO would be to use external tools that allow you to upscale images without losing quality or sharpness. Now there are plenty of them on the market, like Topaz Gigapixel AI that Gwpriester already mentioned, AI Image Enlarger (yep that's the name for it ), or ON1 Resize. The one I use the most is ON1 Resize, but you can experiment with those that suit your needs the best!

Quote Originally Posted by arthur111 View Post
    Hello everyone! Just wanted to add a few thoughts of mine regarding the subject

The easiest solution IMO would be to use external tools that allow you to upscale images without losing quality or sharpness. Now there are plenty of them on the market, like Topaz Gigapixel AI that Gwpriester already mentioned, AI Image Enlarger (yep that's the name for it ), or ON1 Resize. The one I use the most is ON1 Resize, but you can experiment with those that suit your needs the best!
    Arthur, welcome to TalkGraphics, your Blender experience (your first Post) is most welcome.

In this case, you are all chasing rainbows, putting stuff back into images that was never there.

Surely, the noddy solution is to ensure the image is displayed at its natural dimensions before applying the mould.
    I have just scaled the result down by a factor of four and while you can still see jaggies you have to zoom to 400% to do so.

To go a step further, use @handrawn's suggestion to apply a Live Effect at 300dpi: I used Gaussian Blur (smart), Radius 8, Threshold 255.

All Xara.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat