Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Retaining Picture Quality When Uploading to Xara

Hello group!

I'm still using Xara Web Design and i'm wondering if there is a way that when I post pictures on my website they will be clear and undistorted as I do see them when I upload them to my PC monitor. I know that when I look at these pictures on my PC monitor they are of larger size and there is going to be some distortion when using the tool handles in Xara and reducing them down to basically the dimensional size (4''x6'') that I am a custom to using on my website.

So is there a way within Xara Web Designer that I will be able to still retain the same picture clarity when uploading to my website?

Thank you.

Default Re: Retaining Picture Quality When Uploading to Xara

Make sure your image quality is good and at least 96dpi at actual size. Also, choose the Retina option in Web Properties > Website.

I would create a box the same scale as your image and select the Placeholder > Replace with graphic file > Browse. Your original & its name are preserved.

You cannot then change the Placeholder presentation, apart from size, as the Placeholder is precisely that.

When I'm at my PC, I'll check that more fully.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 16 February 2024 at 12:52 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, Please let me know after you check with your PC. I have followed your Placeholder recommendation but I am still unable to achieve what I'm after.
    Thank you.

in what way do they lose clarity ? - there should not be any loss when you reduce size, provided you keep the same aspect ratio

did you do what Gary mentioned?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    in what way do they lose clarity ? - there should not be any loss when you reduce size, provided you keep the same aspect ratio

did you do what Gary mentioned?
    Thanks for chiming in!

I did what Acorn and Gary suggested but I don't have Retina in my Placeholder tab.
    Retina is in the Websites tab on my older Xara Web Designer.

Now for what I have and have done before creating this thread on Talk Graphics.

I took a picture with my camera in a JPEG setting. The picture is a great shot with great clarity. The dimensions pixels are 1000x1504, 300 dpi.

When I installed it on my website I did what I always do with pictures. I just dragged the picture over from my hard drive and dropped it where I wanted it. As soon as I dropped it I saw it lost clarity. I then reduced the size just a little bit with the picture tool handles. On my PC monitor which is 24''x15'' the picture size is 4''x6''

Thank you.

ok, but I asked 'in what way do they lose clarity? - do they go blurred/fussy/color-cast..... what exactly

the default import quality of jpeg is 90%

its worth checking your view quality is set VHQ - slider fully to the right:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view quality.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	134573
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    Thanks for chiming in!
    I did what Acorn and Gary suggested but I don't have Retina in my Placeholder tab.
    Retina is in the Websites tab on my older Xara Web Designer.
    Now for what I have and have done before creating this thread on Talk Graphics.
    I took a picture with my camera in a JPEG setting. The picture is a great shot with great clarity. The dimensions pixels are 1000x1504, 300 dpi.
    When I installed it on my website I did what I always do with pictures. I just dragged the picture over from my hard drive and dropped it where I wanted it. As soon as I dropped it I saw it lost clarity. I then reduced the size just a little bit with the picture tool handles. On my PC monitor which is 24''x15'' the picture size is 4''x6''
    Thank you.
    When you drag & drop into a web design, your Xara application will always scale it to a pre-defined size.
    Instead, drag & drop into a Blank Photo template and it will load in the size as defined for 96dpi.
    Then just copy & paste into your design.

If you have 1000x1504px @300dpi, you will get 3125x4700px @96dpi.
    If you want your picture size to be 4x6in then this is 384x576px @96dpi.
    Your dropped image is massively dense and will easily show at 4x6 inches without loss of clarity.

You indicate Web Designer and not Premium so you may not have Retina.

For your purposes, the simplest thing to do is create a 4x6in box on your page.
    Change its Fill to Bitmap: it will show the Xara Default image.
    Now drag & drop your image over and onto this box.
    Your image will now have a resolution of @250dpi. Plenty big enough.

Of course I immediately checked the Placeholder approach and it works fine.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Sorry about that. Definitely fuzzy. The picture that I'm using is an updated picture of myself that I have on my homepage. Around my eyes, they look condensed or fuzzy. The zipper on my jacket appears to look like a straight line.

I am not using Xara Designer Pro. I am using Xara Web Designer Premium.
    I don't have the VHQ slider bar.

Quote Originally Posted by again View Post
    Sorry about that. Definitely fuzzy. The picture that I'm using is an updated picture of myself that I have on my homepage. Around my eyes, they look condensed or fuzzy. The zipper on my jacket appears to look like a straight line.
    I am not using Xara Designer Pro. I am using Xara Web Designer Premium.
    I don't have the VHQ slider bar.
    WDP has a Retina option back to v10.
    Sounds like you are using a thumbnail of yourself or are dragging the wrong image.

Drop your image into a blank design file and upload to TG.

Acorn