Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
well good luck in finding what it is..
I finally was able to resolve this issue.

I like to tweak things, including Designer Pro 20 perpetual. Looks like I went a bit too far with that tweaking.

What I did was a complete uninstall of DP20 - including xara registry tree purge.

I then reinstalled DP20 and then exported the "XtremeProPerpetual x64" registry branch

Some of those tweaks I wanted to keep, so, before uninstalling DP20 I exporting the "XtremeProPerpetual x64" key from the registry. I also exported specific parts of the Xara configuration as well (things like selection blobs, recent files, backup locations, toolbar configuration etc)

I then imported the specific parts of the Xara configuration reg files to get back my tweaks I wanted

After doing this, the “Check for updates” no longer gave me the script error. I just got the Welcome Screen.

I was willing to tolerate the script error, as I did not effect any other part of the program. Or so I thought.

I discovered that the “Magic Erase” tool was not working properly. I selected the “Magic Erase” tool, like I have done before. The marching ants appeared. However, when I released the mouse button, the selected marquee just disappeared. Well that was not supposed to happen!

That's what got me to do uninstall, purge and re-uninstall DP20, hoping that this “Magic Erase” tool would resolve. Thankfully it did (which as may main reason)

The fixing of the script errors at update check was a bit of serendipity.

So there you have it. (Yes, I over-tweaked)

Fingers crossed problem solved.