Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: making buttons for nav bar - mouseOver question

Gentlemen - Frankly, I’m amazed what you can do, and so quickly. My buttons and roll overs and a pop up on three of them took me about 4 hours. And so small at that.
    Terrific demos from all. The museum thanks you.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Gary. Love what you did on The Parsonage. Especially https://theparsonage.co.uk/events.html

I get a lot of fundraising posters that really do add to clutter. This is a majestic and tidy idea.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Age-old solution here, left-justify the text and manually centre:
    Age-old to you, brand new to me! I engaged the age-old human reaction of giving up on MouseOver long ago. I can now revisit. Thank you.

I have, yet another, angle of attack. I made a site with a LOT of content, and I dislike sub-menus. I also didn't want the project file to become unwieldy, so I chopped it up into mini sites.

The site itself: CC Saint-Clair. Social realism and holistic writings, roman

And a picture of the folder structure. No drilling down through sub-menus. Green are sections of the main, and are little sites in their own right. Red are 'storage' for the PDFs, magazine and radio reviews etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Site Structure.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	134553

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Age-old to you, brand new to me! I engaged the age-old human reaction of giving up on MouseOver long ago. I can now revisit. Thank you.
    I have, yet another, angle of attack. I made a site with a LOT of content, and I dislike sub-menus. I also didn't want the project file to become unwieldy, so I chopped it up into mini sites.
    The site itself: CC Saint-Clair. Social realism and holistic writings, roman
    And a picture of the folder structure. No drilling down through sub-menus. Green are sections of the main, and are little sites in their own right. Red are 'storage' for the PDFs, magazine and radio reviews etc.
    Chris, kudos for splitting your site, it is a powerful technique.

You could readily use my page mega-menu approach for your detailed site map. Currently, I have no sense of where I am or going and only when hitting page bottom do I see the Site Map/Index link.
    If you make the same Link a Hamburger, sticky top of page, and add the Close icon back link then you will be cooking with gas.

From https://ccsaint-clair.com.au/site-map.html, I am finding a lot of 404s.
    It is not clear that some Links are to PDFs, external links or sub-sites, you need an icon for each and any jump externally or to a document needs to open into a new Tab.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You're right. I desperately need to revisit the site map page since I split the site...watch this space.

I can now see the benefits of a CSS menu. I'm working with a 15 page site with 10 single state buttons, and two drop down menus. I went with single state buttons and pop ups basically because of my minimal knowledge of CSS, and I have to put my museum site on an extreme diet. Here are my labor intensive findings.

- Pop Up layers from two buttons must be copied and pasted separately into different pages.
    - The buttons in the pop up layers are soft grouped - and appear at different page positions. (this might be setting someplace) maybe lock.
    - On each page the buttons must be linked to the pop up layers.

Very laborious. Although since I'm dropping 3 pages, and combining them into one, and eliminating a few things along the way, (the extreme diet) the site is noticeably faster upon loading.

The page preview is quite slow as I continue to test. I'm not sure why. It gets slower the more previews I try. That's rectified (for me) but opening and closing the program.

- Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    The page preview is quite slow as I continue to test. I'm not sure why. It gets slower the more previews I try. That's rectified (for me) but opening and closing the program. - Bill
    Bill, if you have WebP enabled disable while testing and only on when publishing.

Never had this slow down, except when there are a lot of links that are repeating on all pages.
    Xara fixed this a few versions back. Xara did muck it up all over then recorrected but it has been fine in XPro+ for well over a year now.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 12 February 2024 at 09:32 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The page preview is quite slow as I continue to test. I'm not sure why. It gets slower the more previews I try. That's rectified (for me) but opening and closing the program.
    Yes, this is a bug in Xara that's plauged me for years Bill. Eventually the xar file will just cease rendering and crash Xara. As you state the only cure is to save and close Xara. Reopening eliminates this issue for a while but it returns.

One other I've alway had is opening Utilities / Options. This take eight seconds to open the Options window!
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Bill, in reply to a PM:

Create a wide box for the HTML Code - put that into the Placeholder Body. Set the Placeholder to be Repeat on all pages. It needs to be deep enough to handle the showing of the tallest submenu.
    The CSS Code goes into Website > Head.
    The JavaScript Code goes into Website > Body.

As the code uses an id for 'menu' and 'responsive-menu', you need to check the codes generated work in a Variant. I have been lucky so far or perhaps Xara has sneaked in a fix after so many years.

Default RM in a Web Block design: CSS+JS - Responsive Menu.xar. The JS is probably optional.

Acorn