Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Apostrophes not displaying

This is a very strange one. I use open sans font for much of my website. On one page only, apostrophes are not displaying. Instead there is a space. Apostrophes display on every other page. If I copy from the problem page to one of the other pages the apostrophe displays. If I change the font, the apostrophe displays. Any ideas? If it is any help this is the page in question: https://www.grahamebooth.com/workshops.html If you scroll to Dartmoor National Park, in the description it is displayed as England s most beautiful places instead of England's most beautiful places

Default Re: Apostrophes not displaying

I'm seeing the apostrophe in England's if that is any help. Firefox 122.0.1 Windows 11

and there again I don't using same ffox windows 10

what font is it?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Could be a number of things.

Xara converted quotes to make them appear pretty as wrapping quotes. These are usually high number Unicodes and if Open Sans does not have the glyph it may appear blank.

In your case as I can see the apostrophe just press Ctrl+F5 and it should recover.

Another possibility is when you copy in text from a PDF, Xara create a a partial font set based on the letters used. If you latterly add one not there, it may again not appear.

My bet is Ctrl+F5.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 09 February 2024 at 07:52 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

not there from the off for me, so can't be cache ?

somethiing machine dependant as in font ?

is open sans a specific font ?
    Nothing lasts forever...

ok it is and I have it installed, but this is what I see

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2024-02-09 20_06_11-Painting Holidays with Grahame Booth — Mozilla Firefox.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	83.6 KB 
ID:	134542

it's missing for me too in edge....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Question Re: Apostrophes not displaying

It may be because you have changed the letter spacing at some point. This seems to be conflicting where you have centred or justified the text.
    I think the browser cannot calculate the spacing of 0.054em that you set when it is Open Sans.
    Elsewhere you have a range of other spacings.

Select the block of text, change back to normal and then set at 14pt Open Sans and see if this changes things.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you all for your suggestions folks but nothing seemed to have any effect. I ended up rebuilding the page and I thought it was sorted. Spoke too soon. Single page previews showed the apostrophe but site preview didn't. I ended up changing the font as it just seemed to be Open Sans that was affected.