Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Xara Failing To Open Web Browser

Could you attach you xar file? I don't suspect this is a cause but we could negate it from a possibility. Problem is if you look at the many things that may cause this as in my link above, it's hard to chase down. The Error code: 1F is strange. I can't find anything on the net to follow up on this (apart from LG Fridges but I think we can rule this out ).

I'd get in touch with support re this matter, perhaps Error: 1F means something to them?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Hi Egg, good to see you. No, I am using: Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023.
    Acorn has been assisting as you can see up there. To go a step further beyond, just the website. ALL my websites are doing the same thing from within Xara. Also, to test it further, I went into the "HELP" tab in the program, and the dropdown box, to "MORE XARA DESIGNER PRO X" seen in the attachment, and I get the same error message when I click on any of those options such as "Xara Designer Pro X Home", "Online Forum", etc. So it seems like the entire Xara program will not or CAN NOT reach the outside world for whatever reason. Except, when I publish a site, it publishes perfectly with no issues at all.
    Tazz

Attachment 134535
    Tazz, it seems to be a failure of the Xara program to establish a web connection.
    What I was suggesting was take the latest URL that Preview shows (e.g., http://localhost:8000/virtea9a3d2f/index.htm) and paste that address directly into another browser.
    If it still fails then your PC configuration is blocking localhost access. The 127.0.0.1 should work when substituted as http://127.0.0.1:8000/virtea9a3d2f/index.htm instead of localhost.

POSSIBLE SCARY STUFF:
    In a cmd window try ping localhost & ping 127.0.0.1.If working then fine.
    If not, a fix might be to type netsh http add iplisten 127.0.0.1 but don't do that unless you are comfortable.
    It could be your hosts file ([COLOR=var(--black-600)]C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts[/COLOR]) doesn't have localhost 127.0.0.1 as an entry or has more than one such entry.

I think it might be safer to contact Xara for advice.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tazz, it seems to be a failure of the Xara program to establish a web connection.
    What I was suggesting was take the latest URL that Preview shows (e.g., http://localhost:8000/virtea9a3d2f/index.htm) and paste that address directly into another browser.
    If it still fails then your PC configuration is blocking localhost access. The 127.0.0.1 should work when substituted as http://127.0.0.1:8000/virtea9a3d2f/index.htm instead of localhost.

POSSIBLE SCARY STUFF:
    In a cmd window try ping localhost & ping 127.0.0.1.If working then fine.
    If not, a fix might be to type netsh http add iplisten 127.0.0.1 but don't do that unless you are comfortable.
    It could be your hosts file ([COLOR=var(--black-600)]C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts[/COLOR]) doesn't have localhost 127.0.0.1 as an entry or has more than one such entry.

I think it might be safer to contact Xara for advice.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn,

Thanks again for working on this. I don't know too much about tampering with the hosts file, well, enough to screw things up yes. But, I opened it up and copied everything, from top to bottom, that's in there. This might shed some light if anything is wrong. I have pasted it below, exactly as it looked. I feel fine editing it as we see fit. I do see a few 127.0.0.1's in there!? Tazz

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

# 127.0.0.1 localhost

# ::1 localhost

127.0.0.1 104.22.33.115
    127.0.0.1 172.67.37.186

Thank you to both Acorn and Egg...I really appreciate you guys!

Acorn I pasted the copy of the Hosts file in that last post...and in this one per Egg's request/suggestion, I have uploaded the index.xar file for one of the sites I'm currently working on. Of course, the same issue occurs with all of my sites, so I can upload any of the index files and replicate the problem. Hope this helps.

Tazzindex.xar

Acorn
    Ok, this is interesting, might help. When I press "PREVIEW CURRENT WEB PAGE (in Xara), I get the error message pop-up box, if I type the exact web address (current one shown in that error pop-up): http://localhost:8000/virt6b00d05c/index.htm in my web browser, it opened the site perfectly. I just did it and it worked great. ALSO, I publish the site with no issues, but the "link" that shows the web address once publishing finishes successfully, if I click that link the same error occurs. But if I write that web address in a browser, it works perfectly! Another note, all of my sites are "https" sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    Thank you to both Acorn and Egg...I really appreciate you guys!

Acorn I pasted the copy of the Hosts file in that last post...and in this one per Egg's request/suggestion, I have uploaded the index.xar file for one of the sites I'm currently working on. Of course, the same issue occurs with all of my sites, so I can upload any of the index files and replicate the problem. Hope this helps.

Tazzindex.xar
    Tazz, on your hosts file, 127.0.0.1 with #s are commented out. The last two seem to want to redirect your 127.0.0.1 URL or Cloudflare.
    You could try and comment out the last to and uncomment 127.0.0.1 localhost with Xara closed.
    Then check again after saving hosts. Do check you save hosts without any extension; you probably will create hosts.txt in error.

If you change the hosts file successfully and nothing changes in Xara, do reset hosts to what it was.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Tazz, on your hosts file, 127.0.0.1 with #s are commented out. The last two seem to want to redirect your 127.0.0.1 URL or Cloudflare.
    You could try and comment out the last to and uncomment 127.0.0.1 localhost with Xara closed.
    Then check again after saving hosts. Do check you save hosts without any extension; you probably will create hosts.txt in error.

If you change the hosts file successfully and nothing changes in Xara, do reset hosts to what it was.

Acorn
    Acorn, I followed your instructions to a tee, and there was no difference. I put everything back as it was.

Tazz, little else I can offer remotely.
    Raise it with Xara.

In the meantime, will exporting the website to check it locally work for you?
    If you do not close the preview you can make changes, export and just refresh (F5) the preview in your browser.

Acorn

Tazz, little else I can offer remotely.
    Raise it with Xara.

In the meantime, will exporting the website to check it locally work for you?
    If you do not close the preview you can make changes, export and just refresh (F5) the preview in your browser.

Acorn
    Acorn, thanks again my friend, I really do appreciate your time and expertise. I know this is a weird one, and it just started out of the blue which makes it that much more intriguing. I did raise a support ticket with Xara, just to see what they come up with.

In the meantime, yes, I have been able to keep working the exact way you suggested. It works, just a bit of an inconvenience! Maybe it's a Xara switch they flicked to add even more pressure to upgrade to the new one haha

Thank you again for all your help. Have a great day/evening.

Tazz

So I sent a ticket to Xara Support for this strange issue and Matt responded with the solution that worked! To anyone else that has this issue occur, here is the answer! AND it was so simple.

"Please try to reset the configured program for opening http links.
    In Win11 you go to Start > Settings > Apps > Default apps and then scroll to near the bottom and hit "Choose defaults by link type".
    On the new page, enter http into the search field and then change the configured program back to what you really want it to be. (click the +add button)"
    Mine was blank (for some reason)...I changed mine to Chrome.

It worked great.

Thank you Matt. Thank you Acorn and Egg for helping with resolving this. Now we all learned something new and know how to fix it in the future!