Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Rogue Open Sans "Default Font" in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer +

Hi Folks

My copy of Xara Photo & Graphic Designer + (currently Jan 17th 2024) has decided in recent months that my default font for all new documents is Open Sans, which I don't have installed. It then tells me off for trying to use an un-installed font as soon as I go to enter text!

I have checked all my templates, including the default for this font, by inspecting the name tables, recreated the templates and searched Xara documentation for any concept of an application "default font" and drawn a blank!

I could just install Google Open Sans but I would like to understand what is going on here.

Thoughts appreciated

Charlie

Default Re: Rogue Open Sans "Default Font" in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer +

Charlie, as far as I can see, Xara template default font was Arial prior to v15 and Open Sans thereafter.
    Perhaps the change slipped past you.

If you want a different default font you would open a template, add some text using the 'Normal text' paragraph style, change the text font and size to what you want your default to become. You then highlight the inputted text and select the font drop down and pick Update 'Normal text' to match.

Finally, you should use File > Save template and alter the file name to show what font is has.
    If you just overwrite the Xara default templates then Xara may update them at a later time, reverting to Open Sans.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Rogue Open Sans "Default Font" in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer +

Thanks - makes perfect sense - I should have looked at the styles of course!
    Just never occurred to me that Xara would default to a Google font!

Charlie