Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Recommended website/variant widths still valid?

Are the website widths and the suggested variant widths still valid? Phones and devices have evolved since the introduction of websites in Xara, but the width recommendations in Xara (Pro+) have not changed. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks. Dan

Default Re: Recommended website/variant widths still valid?

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Are the website widths and the suggested variant widths still valid? Phones and devices have evolved since the introduction of websites in Xara, but the width recommendations in Xara (Pro+) have not changed. Any insights are appreciated. Thanks. Dan
    Dan, my goto size is 1440px Main and 720px Variant but I also may tweak a Registry setting so the cut across is not 50% to make any font size transition less marked. Xara in its UI for variants does not recalculate the breakpoints, it will still show 50%.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\HTMLFilte r\10.0\MultiWidthBreakpoint: 50 (default).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Dan, my goto size is 1440px Main and 720px Variant but I also may tweak a Registry setting so the cut across is not 50% to make any font size transition less marked. Xara in its UI for variants does not recalculate the breakpoints, it will still show 50%.

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\HTMLFilte r\10.0\MultiWidthBreakpoint: 50 (default).

Acorn
    Any chance for more details with th registry tweaks Acorn. How you change them? Thanks in advance

Lightbulb Re: Recommended website/variant widths still valid?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre7 View Post
    Any chance for more details with th registry tweaks Acorn. How you change them? Thanks in advance
    Andre, changing the Registry is usually always cavaeted with make sure you back it up forst. If you trash it, you could scupper your Windows set-up altogether. I have never had any such problem, so far.

• Ensure your XDA is not open. Changes will no come into play until it is restarted.
    • Open the Registry Editor. It runs in Admin mode so accept the UAC question and click Yes.
    • Navigate to Computer > HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Xara > HTMLFilter > 10.0 > MultiWidthBreakpoint
      • If you have an earlier version, it may be ...> 9.0 >..., back down to 7.0. If you Preview an index.htm file, the HTML Filer is in the <head>.
      • Or, press F3 and search on "MultiWidthBreakpoint", without the double quotes. Check in the top edit field you have the right HTML Filter version.
      • In the right pane, double-click in the (Default) Name and change the value of 50 to your new breakpoint percentage.
      • Click OK and close the Registry.
      • Run your XDA. Preview and check where the breakpoint now occurs.

When the value is 50(%), you take the Variant width away from the Main width and use that percentage.
    The breakpoint is the Variant width plus this value.
    Bp = (Mw - Vw) * (Registry entry) / 100 + Vw.

For (1440, 720, 50) you would get a Bp of 1080px.
    For (1440, 720, 37) you would get a Bp of 986px.
    For (1024, 480, 50), you have 754px.
    For (1024, 480, 65), you have 812px.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Very useful information.Thank you very muh Acorn for taking the time to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post

Acorn
    Thanks for the info. It helps. Dan