Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favicons

Default Favicons

I am trying to insert Favicons on my sites. Are they supposed to go into the Public_HTML file? The instructions say put them in the "Root" file. Are those the same folder? I don't see a "Root" folder in the options that come up in my FTP program (FileZilla)

Default Re: Favicons

Please just read the Xara help file. Xara handles all the guff for you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Create your favicon image, size isn't too important, the one I'm using as an example if 385 x 385px.
    Select your image and click Utilities > Names and name it favicon. Nothing else, just favicon.
    Move your newly minted favicon off the page and publish your site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Songweaver1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	134474

I followed the instructions but it did not work.
    Here is the link to the instructions:
    https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...cons%20favicon

Actually, it did work on the second site I tried.

Names isn't in the Utilities. I right clicked on the image and brought up a choice for Names, and I typed in 'favicon' and closed as instructed. It didn't work.
    Here's the instructions:

Quote Originally Posted by Songweaver View Post
    Names isn't in the Utilities. I right clicked on the image and brought up a choice for Names, and I typed in 'favicon' and closed as instructed. It didn't work.
    Here's the instructions:

If it worked on the second site, but not the first, you didn't do it correctly on the first.

Also...

Name:	Songweaver2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	134476

you were right... I saw it in Utilities.... duh.... however, it works on one site but not on two others...? (favicon)
    Is there a certain file type? It gave me the option to convert my .BMP file and .GIF to .jpg.... so I did. Still not coming up on either of the two sites I tried. (Why would it work on one and not the other two?)

Yes, convert to jpg is fine and shouldn't affect anything.

This is one of those times when, once you know how, it's so straight forward it's hard to fathom why it doesn't work.

The steps are:
    Create, or import, the image you want to use as your favicon. I can't recall if there's a size limitation, but all mine are squares around 250 or 300px.
    Open the Names properties box and add the name favicon.
    Publish the site.

Did that.... about three times on two sites..... not working.....

Info Re: Favicons

Did that.... about three times on two sites..... not working.....
    Songweaver, not all browsers will display a Favicon in Preview. If you have Magix XDPX, it is possible your Preview is through IE, which definitely does not handle Favicons.

Have you checked if a Favicon is being uploaded?
    The simplest way for checking is to provide your addresses to these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    If it worked on the second site, but not the first, you didn't do it correctly on the first.
    Also...

Name:	Songweaver2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	134476
    Chris probably right.

you were right... I saw it in Utilities.... duh.... however, it works on one site but not on two others...? (favicon)
    Is there a certain file type? It gave me the option to convert my .BMP file and .GIF to .jpg.... so I did. Still not coming up on either of the two sites I tried. (Why would it work on one and not the other two?)
    We have tried to explain there is no 'convert' process for you to apply; Xara just does it.
    It can be an image, a Group, text, a vector, Xara creates an .ico and the associated script links for you.

One day, Xara might even start generating SVG Favicons for even crisper Favicons.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat