Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pressure sensitivity strokes are very thin ...

I just started to use a Lenovo Yoga C940 with a (wacom?) stylus. Inkscape, Illustrator and OneNote record the pressure perfectly but Xara Designer Pro + constantly interprets pressure way too low. Hence I end up with strokes which are too thin when using the Pen or I have to adjust the pen width to 36.

Is there any method to adjust the pressure sensitivity in Xara Designer Pro?

Default Re: Pressure sensitivity strokes are very thin ...

I've never used a tablet so I am not sure if this will help. When the Freehand Tool is selected there is a button for Sketch Mode. Does this do anything?

Steve (Handrawn) uses a stylus so when he checks in I am sure he will have a suggestion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sketch Mode.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	134439  

Sketch mode is something completely different.

But to elaborate: when switching to normal (i.e. non pressure mode) the lines are all right and with desired width (0.5 pt). When swtching to the pressure mode the line width is still 0.5pt but due to pressure being recorded with too less pressure it's merely 1mp and hence not visible.

I've used all sorts of styli during the last decennia (Wacom, Acer, etc.) but this one stumps me. So far I discovered that this particular pen is a Wacom AES technology.

there is no way to tweak the pressure sensitivity that I know of in xara, it is either on or off

there is a registry key but AFAIK is only has on/off [1/0] values that do anything

I do not know the tablet in question - it may have program specific settings for stylus control - the stylus itself may have drivers that can be so set

restaring everything sometimes works; if the stylus was installed after xara, reinstalling xara may help but run it as administrator first in case that helps
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

it's worth checking you have wintab drivers installed:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wintab.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	134441

xara probably needs these, but modern tablets may use windows ink and not have them installed by default

you should be able to get the right ones for your tablet from lenovo site if you need them

if you have to install these then you may need to reinstall xara again afterwards
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 January 2024 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add some
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    it's worth checking you have wintab drivers installed:
    Hmmm, worth a try. I had already tried the latest driver from Wacom but it reported that there was no Wacom compatible hardware (though the Lenovo driver heavily depends on Wacom software)
    I'll try to install the Wintab driver. Thanks for the tip!

er... that's
    a/ not the latest WinTab
    b/ for w10 (not w11)
    c/ to be seen if the missing WinTab really is the reason for the behaviour ...

ok - you don't say which Yoga C940 you have - I see two models on their site; but either way lenovo do not seem to provide anty windows 11 specific drivers, which may mean you use the windows 10 but you would have to check

also did you check to see if the .DLL files are in your directory

it seems that lenevo only do windows 11 specific wintab drivers for thinkpad, could not see any for the yoga

may be lenovo, or xara, could give you some advice
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi guys, don't forget that when you draw in Xara with the Freehand Brush Tool, you are always drawing paths.

If you switch on pressure recording, you only change the brush that Xara uses. To change the thickness, you can only use the line thickness.

In my experience, the only way to draw reasonably naturally in Xara is to use the Shape Painter Tool in Paint mode.

Name:	xara.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	134445

Examples of where I use this are in my woodcut drawings by Dürer.

Name:	dürer 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	134446

Name:	Clipboard 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	134447