Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Freehand Blocks Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I'd like Acorn to give more details as to how he can make a block rise from the bottom. That sucker is superglued to the bottom no matter what I do.
    Depends on the type of WB.

Basically, you need to select BlockBackground or Flex Group and then drag the middle controls up or down.
    That way, you can position your WB where you want it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Depends on the type of WB.

Basically, you need to select BlockBackground or Flex Group and then drag the middle controls up or down.
    That way, you can position your WB where you want it.

Acorn
    Got it. I did as said and expanded the block (by its background) to halfway up the page. Then dragged the bottom of the background up to create the desired height. The bottom of the page dutifully follows the bottom of the block, but it, in turn, can be dragged back down leaving the block in situ. A bit of a mess around, but to be fair, blocks aren't really meant to be used that way.

PART 2

Converting an existing site to a blocky one:
    I created a block by selecting a group of objects and ctrl+alt+b. Xara instantly tells me the number of blocks is different. I right-click the blocks and Website Variants > Share With All Variants.
    Naming the blocks in the P&L doesn't rename in the variant. All blocks in the variants are stacked together, 100px high and empty. Adding anything to a block in a variant immediately breaks the other variant. This method doesn't seem really viable.

Attempt 2:
    Deleted variant.
    Created blocks as above.
    Items with a MouseOver can't be added to a block.
    I prefer to make one spacer (any size, they're all the same) and then add a background to make resizing easier. I then copy/paste rather than add the individual transparent ones from Elements.
    I created a variant and tried to cheat by selecting everything, then reduced the width en-mass. Nope...don't do that. Reducing each section manually, which was quick, easy and worked. The objects were a variety of text, images, shapes, tables and spacers.

I adjusted the text by turning Aspect Ratio off, making the text box width 720px (variant is 760) and then setting the X coordinate to 20. Finally, I increased the size of the font from 20 to 22 and did the 'Update Normal Text In This Variant' in the Styles menu.

Quirks:
    I manipulated two thin tables that were side by side in the main variant, but needed to be one above the other in the smaller variant. When I moved the right table to below the left, the block extended and elongated the left table like Stretch Armstrong's arms. Selecting the stretched table, and using the handles to put it back to its original height, solves the problem. A little strange, but not whinge worthy.

The site is a small, single page that naturally looks like it's in sections already. >>> SITE <<<

Chris
    PART 2 - First
    I creates a number of blobs and text on Main.
    I selected all and used right-click > Website variant > Create Web Block.
    I then share with all variant.
    I still had to adjust the position of the blobs in the Variant.
    All worked as expected. Moving stuff out of the WB in either affected the other.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I still have the .xar of the original site I was working with. I'll go into the 'office' tomorrow and repeat what I did. If the blocks still move to the variant in blank stacks, I upload the project file.

The project file is an existing traditional site, and there may well be things that stop it working. I'm really trying to make a coathanger into an aerial, just to see if it's worth the trouble of converting a couple of other sites that I would find helpful if they were in moveable sections.

It was pretty straight forward and quick to delete the variant and do the job as intended when all said and done.

Stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Chris
    PART 2 - First
    I creates a number of blobs and text on Main.
    I selected all and used right-click > Website variant > Create Web Block.
    I then share with all variant.
    I still had to adjust the position of the blobs in the Variant.
    All worked as expected. Moving stuff out of the WB in either affected the other.

Acorn
    Following your steps, but with an existing traditional site, not freshly minted.
    I selected the bottom set of objects, one is a link to the top of the page, a clipped photo, a line of text and a placeholder with code in the body (iframe). Selected the block and ctrl+alt+B to create a block. All objects are in the block.
    Select the block, right click > Website Variants > Share With All Variants. Everything is inside the block on the variant, except the placeholder. Move placeholder away from the block, and then move back to block...access violation. Restart Xara, everything is in the block in both main and mobile variants.

Close project file, Xara does not ask if I want to save changes. Delete the .xar and start again to see if the problem is repeatable.

Repeated as above, placeholder is not in block, move onto pasteboard, move over block, no violation error, placeholder in block.
    Add a spacer (interestingly, Xara does not say I have a different amount of blocks this time. It also added the spacer to both variants.
    Selected next section, a single table and a rectangle, ctrl+alt+B - Internal Program Error 1533.k.ra.ge. I wasn't asked, but I restart Xara because of the error.

Main looks the same, variant a bit mangled. More than likely an easy recover, but do I really want to keep going? Would I even start this procedure on a more complicated, multipage site?

This is the third time I've been unsuccessful at converting this site from conventional to blocks with the variant in situ.
    Deleting the variant, converting to blocks and then creating a variant afterwards was smooth, quick and almost boring in its efficiency.

Xar file attached should anyone wants to try with the same project. I'm not looking for answers, as I would simply follow my own advice and delete the variant before starting.

Luke TG Version.xar