Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Copy and paste Issue

I was creating my first page with V20 it went well so i decided to recreate a page from my website - it all went well untill i cant to copy and paste the buttons from an old page from my website - when pasting it gave a me a text box asking if i wanted to match the page colours - i put yes and it gave ame a nice new button. When i came to do the second page i did the same thing but it just pasted the same old button no text box came up.
    I really cant get why it works on one page and not another? I have posted a screen shot of the box.
    JackClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-15 094403.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	191.2 KB 
ID:	134419
    Last edited by gwpriester; 23 January 2024 at 12:08 PM. Reason: changed past to paste

Default Re: Copy and past Issue

Jack, this pop-up is not new; its functionality has been with us for many years.

The second page button needs to have Themed Colours associated with it.
    Your first page button certainly did.

So On you old design Copy the first page button and Paste Attributes onto the second page one and try copying that into your new site design.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Terrier View Post
    i did the same thing but it just pasted the same old button no text box came upClick image for larger version. 

That box appears once, when you paste something for the first time

If you're going to a second page and pasting again, the different behaviour isn't really because you are pasting to a different page, rather, it's the second time you're pasting the same thing.

You'd not get the prompt if you pasted for a second time on the same first page, either

Go back to wherever you copied from, and copy it again. Xara will not notice that you've copied the same thing again, so when you paste it, you'll be "pasting for the first time" and will therefore get the prompt again.

There was a bug for more than a decade where sometimes you'd copy something new and when you pasted, you would still paste the old thing - it could affect anything at any time, and restarting Xara was the only thing that cleared it. I don't remember when this was fixed, 4-5 years ago maybe. I don't use Xara for website generation, and that bugfix alone was the best feature upgrade for me, for a long time!

This has happened to me Daniel a few times. I always use the “don’t match” option as the buttons colors are very easily changed.
    I had been constructing a button in another file, and Xara always want you to use the themed colors.
    To gain a palette from a photo that’s easily done as well if you want you button colors matching the site. (Make your own theme)

B
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

I was creating my first page with V20 it went well so i decided to recreate a page from my website - it all went well untill i cant to copy and paste the buttons from an old page from my website - when pasting it gave a me a text box asking if i wanted to match the page colours - i put yes and it gave ame a nice new button. When i came to do the second page i did the same thing but it just pasted the same old button no text box came up.
    I really cant get why it works on one page and not another? I have posted a screen shot of the box.
    JackClick image for larger version. 

This si first time i have seen this message truth be told, there only seems to be one page that this pops up and thats the 1st page i ever made with version 20 - if i create another new page it doesnt appear and i want it to - i guess it because i want nerw buttons for the updated website but i can no longer use them in xara as V20 diesnt have the content catalogue like it used to.
    Does anyone know where i can create new buttons that wont cost me anything ?

Jack,

Do you have a previous version of Xara where you downloaded the content catalog to your computer or a back up drive? If so then the nav bars would still be accessible, you would just have to point V20 to the right place to look. App data folder for the user,local/xara/xtremepro/"version #"/cache/designs/eng

Ray

Jack, there should be no problem with old or new style buttons in v20.

If v20 (perpetual) follows the dropped WDv19 (perpetual-ish), you have a small collection of button templates that are of a different approach to the traditional Xara button.
    As ever, when Xara introduces a new feature, it fails to look at end-user utility. The new button format does not allow the shape to be altered apart from dimension, colour and edging. Even then the Line stays the same colour for both states.

The new "smart" buttons appeared in v22.0 and all old style buttons were removed from the OCC!
    Web Export - Buttons All buttons under Components > Buttons in the Online Content Catalog have been updated. These are now SmartShape buttons. The entire button, including mouse-over state, reside on a single layer instead of parts of the button being on the MouseOver layer as with previous buttons. This makes it easier to use buttons in multi-layer designs. It’s also easier to change their widths and to resize them.
    An old-style button will paste into a v20 design and still work.
    Do check that you have set your design document to be a web document; this has MouseOff and MouseOver layers.

When pasting you should get the OP pop-up you flagged, provided your button has Themed Colours.
    You have not advised back if this is the case for your second page copy.
    Each such copy will present the pop-up.

I would not follow @bwood (Bill)'s advice as if you "Don't match" you end up with secondary Themed Colours and getting everything normalised is a pain.

As @RKissane (Ray) points out old-style buttons should still exist in any downloaded content or older design files. So you can bring them in and adjust as you see fit.

Old-style buttons were flawed, new ones sorted that out but introduced their own problems. Try rotating a button slightly and you end up with images.
    I build my buttons with CSS code styling as I am then in full control of their presentation and animation.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

SOrry i have taken so long to reply, i havent got the old V19 xara on my pc, so i dont have the content catalogue, i did find a website for doing new buttons they looked really good but its all CSS and i dont really understand how that works - i guess i will have to look into it - thanks for your replies though i am gratefull for any help i can get
    Jack

SOrry i have taken so long to reply, i havent got the old V19 xara on my pc, so i dont have the content catalogue, i did find a website for doing new buttons they looked really good but its all CSS and i dont really understand how that works - i guess i will have to look into it - thanks for your replies though i am gratefull for any help i can get
    Jack
    Jack, it has always struck me as unfair that iXara never automatically downloaded all the assets that we had paid for. Instead TGers had to repeatedly advise the use of Download All as this gem was well-hidden in Xara's guidance. Latterly, the Plus version does have this necessary automatic download but you are then whammied by it being a subscription service.

I mentioned CSS Buttons earlier. I will create a new Thread to show an approach that I have been working on.
    I will add the link here: https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...on-Development

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Laveryan View Post
    Have you tried the well-known turn it on and off approach? All it sometimes takes is a simple restoring of things to set them straight. Or, maybe it is some small variation on the second page which creates a kind of confusion. It may be good to revisit for another look whether there was anything that leaps out.
    I am always wary of first-posters' intentions offering advice on a product they do not possess and with advice that is so generic, it offers nothing.

Can you advise a little of your background so I can pigeonhole you?

Acorn