Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default .XAR File Stamping / Metadata / Tags

Hi

I'm creating some files currently where ideally I'd like the files to contain original creation information for any copyright or challenges in the future.

Ideally I'd like the files to contain the version of Xara, owner and some uniqe identifier, maybe the computer it was created on and part of serial number or licensee name.

Does such a thing exist in Xar files?

Cheers

Chris

Default Re: .XAR File Stamping / Metadata / Tags

I do not think so. But you could add a small copyright line at the bottom of your site. And if you are concerned about copyright infringement, register your website with the US (assuming this is a US location) with the Copyright Office. You can do it online at https://www.copyright.gov/

The benefit of a registered copyright is: should you need to litigate to protect your copyrighted content, and if you win, the violator has to pay the court costs. It's worth every penny to register your copyright.

Chris, if it is the generated HTML page files then you could add such detail into the Page Description.

Any more than this, you will have to give examples of your asset files (PDF, images, code) that you think you also need to copyright.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi thanks for that, the files in question are not in any way related to website design, they are functional graphic designs that form part of a workflow I have created..

In terms of traceability it might be needed to prove when, where, on who's owned software/system, in order to prove the provenance of my intellectual property should an existing work commitment decide they think they own my work.

In terms of where I stand, I'm solid, I know that without question, however this is being prepared with evidence in the absolute worst case, however remote, shuld it happen.

Cheers

Chris

put file copy in storage such that you can prove when this was done and that it has not been accessed since

there are digital ways to do this, or there are physical ways [on usb say]

do not rely on information within the file, you might not believe how easy that is to spoof

you might say the file has not been tampered with, but you would woudn't you; you need to be able to prove it
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The simplest would be to copy your design(s) into a PDF document and password protect and limit it to screen read only. Then digitally sign it.
    Finally, publish to a website with a cleartext declaration to your rights as the author. This location can also be password protected.
    On your about page, add an owner section that has a copy of your public PGP key as a download.
    If someone wants you to prove ownership of the site, they can download the public key, then request you to send them a signed a file.

Or copy the same to a stick and post it with the password wrapped in a current newspaper dated sheet to yourself registered post. On receipt, sign for it but never open the package until you have to prove ownership.

Or email as a PGP-encrypted document to yourself.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Or copy the same to a stick and post it with the password wrapped in a current newspaper dated sheet to yourself registered post. On receipt, sign for it but never open the package until you have to prove ownership.
    ah, happy days when things were simpler <sigh>
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ah, happy days when things were simpler <sigh>
    Well, as you remember as you were there, you had to write it all in Latin and using the exact same letter count form a gigantic anagram that was still good Latin and hoof it down to your nearest monastery and get the scribes to copy up enough parchment so you to have them hand couriered to your correspondents and learned institutes...

Acorn

'simpler' does not always equate to 'easier'

as I recall you had to keep the bear fed, otherwise it would wander off in search of food and your parietal art would be accessible to all

it was easier in the winter when it stayed put; disturbing a hibernating bear is not pretty

edit - it has just been pointed out to me that parietal can mean something else in USA college culture, must look up that derivation....
    Nothing lasts forever...

I've had too many third party services close down, rename themselves, or re-engineer how they work to trust any long-term anymore.

I'd suggest going along with Acorn's suggestion of using PGP, but rather than encrypting anything, just use it as a free, quick, easy, and long-term reliable method of signing files.

You then just need to prove that you created the PGP signature when you say you did (ie, and that you've not just set your PC's clock back in time) - so publish the PGP signing output (which is just a few lines of text) onto a page on your website, make a copy with Archive.is and paste the signature on Pastebin . Make sure your site is indexed by the Internet Archive and by keeping a note of the Pastebin/Archive.is URLs, you'll have timestamped, uneditable copies of the PGP signature - therefore publcily verifyable proof you signed the file that you claim you did, and when.

You needn't put the files online publicly, just the signature for each file.