Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Interesting ftp upload problem

I deal with a large service provider in a neighboring City in Saskatchewan. I have a domain northeastanglicans.ca -- this is an account that I may add some more domains and websites.

This is where the situation becomes way above my paygrade. I've been on the SP tech for an hour trying to figure out what is placed in the 'sub folder' dialogue box. I gather this is the pointer of where the files go. The password is for northeastanglicans.ca, but the websites have different domains. We tried multiple different settings in the sub folder box - and it finally worked with stmatthewstisdale.ca - that website is now working fine.

The tech wrote ...

"Thank you for your reply, it is strange (xara) as it is creating a folder /home/northea1/stmatthewstisdale.ca in the home directory. Can you try stmatthewstisdale.ca as I am unfamiliar with the FTP client"

For my other sites with the same company, with a basic account with one site - the sub folder setting was 'public_html'

I think moving forward with another site for the same account I "may" run into the same problem. I've included the dialogue box from Xara. The password is for the umbrella account northeastanglicans.ca.

Its an interesting problem from the SP that will probably happen again.

-Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ftp upload.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	134403  
    Last edited by bwood; 09 January 2024 at 07:26 PM. Reason: clarification
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Interesting ftp upload problem

Your settings should read:

Connect Using: FTPS (FTP over SSL/TSL)
    FTP Host Address: ftp.stmatthewstisdale.ca
    Username: provided by hosting company
    Password: provided by hosting company
    Sub Folder: public_html
    Website URL: https://www.stmatthewstisdale.ca

Test by clicking Explore Web Space

Any new sites with a different domain name will have their own hosting. The settings above will remain the same EXCEPT for FTP Host Address, username/pass and the Website URL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Your settings should read:

Connect Using: FTPS (FTP over SSL/TSL)
    FTP Host Address: ftp.stmatthewstisdale.ca
    Username: provided by hosting company
    Password: provided by hosting company
    Sub Folder: public_html
    Website URL: https://www.stmatthewstisdale.ca

Test by clicking Explore Web Space

Any new sites with a different domain name will have their own hosting. The settings above will remain the same EXCEPT for FTP Host Address, username/pass and the Website URL
    And Chris - that does make sense. Just for clarification northeastanglicans.ca is the originating host. Under this account there is room for 2 new websites. Each of those websites has the same user name and password. I'll certainly try that on the next sites. Two churches with separate domains, all under the northeastanglicans.ca domain. I wonder if the tech rep was a bit new. He felt the log in image I sent him was rather strange, for whatever reason.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

The new website will be sub-domains so they will be published to public_html/domain-name Domain name being replaced with the actual domain name.

Probably a good idea to have separate passwords for each domain. If one gets compromised it won't affect the other domains.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The new website will be sub-domains so they will be published to public_html/domain-name Domain name being replaced with the actual domain name.

Probably a good idea to have separate passwords for each domain. If one gets compromised it won't affect the other domains.
    Thanks Gary. Sub Domain is the term I was looking for. I’ll definitely use the above for the next site.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design