Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bug Preview is corrupted

Good Morning,

I hope everyone had a great festive break.

I have had this issue a few times now just after a windows update
    or Xara Update not sure which is the culprit here?

affecting my Xara Pro+ run as administrator

when i preview in Xara Pro + the index home page https://www.hedgeendallotments.co.uk/ (works ok online at present)

it comes up as normal but suddenly
    changes to a narrow view of the desktop view page
    same as the variant page preview also twice as narrow as it should be (alarming)

please see screen grab examples last time i had this issue i had to
    find a back up copy and rename it

Why or how does this happen and how do i edit the now corrupted pages ? (if at all possible)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	desktop view.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	134373

Name:	variant view.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	134374

This preview showed up fine as normal but with an error box
    Localhost: 8000
    about preview presentation where is that option?
    still confused about the situation

Name:	preview issue.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	134376
    please advise

Kind regards

Condor
    Last edited by condor365; 28 December 2023 at 10:07 AM.

Exclamation Re: Preview is corrupted

@Condor, always difficult without the design file at hand.
    It, however, is probably down to the code you have for your Stats Counter.
    https://secure.statcounter.com/counter/counter.js is not appearing in your Sources and it appears to be Blocked, in my machine at least.
    I would look to removing the counter code temporarily and see if things are still corrupted.

In a Xara Main+Variant design both pages are in the same file so if there is some miscoding, both pages can be shown together (your corruption).

I first thought your site was a spoof as I saw 'SPRINGFIELD' but it is Southhampton Spring Field, according to the council site.

You published site has missing bits (MenuBar) on other pages and it errors with Error 429:
    Too Many Requests
    The user has sent too many requests in a given amount of time.
    So this could be the problem in that your server is only partially downloading requests.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Preview is corrupted

@Condor, the pop-up indicates you have switched your design to a Presentation.
    It should be a Website.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Condor, the pop-up indicates you have switched your design to a Presentation.
    It should be a Website.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn

Thanks for looking at this for me i have removed the statcounter
    preview is still showing the same behaviour
    the preview url is http://localhost:8000/virtc5025a2f/i..._xr_page_index

the site is a large file 38MB how can i submit it for analysis?

this site has been functioning ok for several years now why
    all of sudden have I somehow linked the variant to the main page

not sure how it switched to a presentation i did have an ebook open earlier

and opened the allotment site to edit it
    as soon as i previewed the page or the preview website the same behaviour happens?

do you think i have too many xara installations and should perhaps remove them

Name:	list of Xara software installed.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	134377

Have now found an earlier .xar file in backups from 7th december 2023
    and renamed it with the latest date
    and that behaves just fine no issues

I do believe that the Xara Updates or the Windows 10 updates makes these wierd
    anomolies happen?

appreciate the feedback

Condor
    Last edited by condor365; 28 December 2023 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added screen grab

@Condor, you can never have too many Xara installations! - They will not be the cause.

Your Xara design file could simply have been corrupted rather than W10 or Xara updates.

Your Preview link is local to you.
    That said, it is showing a transition or presentation generated site. You need to set it back to a conventional website.
    If you don't you will have a single HTML file for all the site's pages including the Variants. Any error anywhere may then have an effect anywhere in the site.
    In your case, it is forcing both Main & Variant to show together.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    @Condor, you can never have too many Xara installations! - They will not be the cause.

Your Xara design file could simply have been corrupted rather than W10 or Xara updates.

Your Preview link is local to you.
    That said, it is showing a transition or presentation generated site. You need to set it back to a conventional website.
    If you don't you will have a single HTML file for all the site's pages including the Variants. Any error anywhere may then have an effect anywhere in the site.
    In your case, it is forcing both Main & Variant to show together.

Acorn
    Thank you Acorn

Yes the transition or presentation is the trigger
    still not sure how to reverse this or change this back to a conventional website
    other than reload a back up and rename the file, the files are stored in Google Drive.

and not certain where the error is or came from like you say the file has
    become corrupted from something i may have done, and was not paying attention.

For now my easiest option is to reload a backup and rename, that seems to work.
    i would not know how to remedy this any other way or from your great advice

I will keep an eye on this and see if and when it happens again
    i will have a time stamp log of when and how the moment it occurs.

I have been playing around with e-books lately and i made an ebook in an external software
    and pasted an iframe flipbook into the allotment website and immediately after that paste
    i previewed and then the anomolie happened, maybe that caused the coruption
    as this particular external software have everything in place to publish export and promote online and
    i am guessing they don't like anyone else using their files in other external programes in fact the PDF i exported
    was impossible to convert to any other format epub mobi etc it always came out scrambled.

i have since ditched the this external ebook software and am now using the ebook templates from within Xara to create them
    and just stick with good ole Xara.
    always appreciate your knowledge Acorn you have helped me many times over the years
    and i am truly grateful
    Kind regards

Condor

@Condor, simply check the Utilities > Web Properties > Export > Transitions and set the Transition effect to Website.
    It is more likely you have ticked Utilities > Web Properties > Website > Other setting to Presentation website.

If you pasted in a flip ebook IFRAME you may not have have terminated the code properly causing the problem.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

I reloaded the original file that was corrupted
    and tried your suggested moves and WAY HAY!
    that instantly fixed the issue.

I have never used any transition website or effects before no idea
    how this was changed or set as default?

Yet again you are an XARA Genie!!!

Many thanks
    Condor