Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nagging message about upgrade

Photo & Graphics Designer is pestering me with a model message saying the support has expired in September and that I can upgrade every time I start. It's very irritating.

I've written to Xara support twice, using their support form, to request help to remove the nagging message, but they never respond. I don't get a confirmation of the requests either. Thus I have 2 questions:

1 - Do Xara ever respond to support requests?
    2 - Does anybody know any way of removing the nagging message?

Edit: I realize now that this message might be better suited for the "Dear Xara" sub forum, and unfortunately, I can't find a way to delete this thread. If a mod can move this thread there, that would be good.
    Last edited by DrJustice; 22 December 2023 at 09:53 AM.

Default Re: Nagging message about upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
    Photo & Graphics Designer is pestering me with a model message saying the support has expired in September and that I can upgrade every time I start. It's very irritating.

I've written to Xara support twice, using their support form, to request help to remove the nagging message, but they never respond. I don't get a confirmation of the requests either. Thus I have 2 questions:

1 - Do Xara ever respond to support requests?
    2 - Does anybody know any way of removing the nagging message?

Edit: I realize now that this message might be better suited for the "Dear Xara" sub forum, and unfortunately, I can't find a way to delete this thread. If a mod can move this thread there, that would be good.
    Hi. The message you are referring to is from Magix and it relates to your Magix Update Service expiring. Please contact Magix directly about the possibility of turning it off. Because the Update Service is a Magix program and system, it is not in the control of Xara.

Note: Magix and Xara are different companies and Magix sold Xara software under its brand name. As of July, Magix is no longer selling Xara products so upgrades are direct through Xara. More information.

If you are contacting Xara through the chat at www.xara.com or through email at www.xara.com/contact-us, then every submission is responded to.

Kind regards,
    Matt from Xara

I realize now that this message might be better suited for the "Dear Xara" sub forum, and unfortunately, I can't find a way to delete this thread. If a mod can move this thread there, that would be good.
    Welcome to TalkGraphics. Actually, DrJustice, where you raised the Thread is a good place as any as probably more will read it where it is.

We do have other Threads about the Magix Nags and you can try Using the Search button (top-right) of page with 'nag' in the box; there are many types of Magix Nags so you might want to try a number of the solutions. The more drastic ones cut off any web contact with Magix but as it is not upgrading any Xara stuff, it will not be an issue.
    If confused, include a screenshot of your Nag so we can point you in the right direction.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by MB365 View Post
    Hi. The message you are referring to is from Magix and it relates to your Magix Update Service expiring. Please contact Magix directly about the possibility of turning it off. Because the Update Service is a Magix program and system, it is not in the control of Xara.

Note: Magix and Xara are different companies and Magix sold Xara software under its brand name. As of July, Magix is no longer selling Xara products so upgrades are direct through Xara. More information.

If you are contacting Xara through the chat at www.xara.com or through email at www.xara.com/contact-us, then every submission is responded to.

Kind regards,
    Matt from Xara
    Hi Matt!

I've used the Xara contact form twice in the last couple of weeks without any confirmation or response. I'll try the magix e-mail next time. Thank you for the information ��

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics. Actually, DrJustice, where you raised the Thread is a good place as any as probably more will read it where it is.

We do have other Threads about the Magix Nags and you can try Using the Search button (top-right) of page with 'nag' in the box; there are many types of Magix Nags so you might want to try a number of the solutions. The more drastic ones cut off any web contact with Magix but as it is not upgrading any Xara stuff, it will not be an issue.
    If confused, include a screenshot of your Nag so we can point you in the right direction.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn!

Thanks for the info. No match on 'nag', but 'nagging' returns many threads. I'll be reading those and hopefully find a solution.

BTW, I'm guessing that "Acorn" refers to the computers I grew up with. When RISC OS came about I became an Artworks user (the origin of Xara). There are many fond memories from those days!

Edit: Fixed! The solution was to block the exe from outbound network connections - all info needed is in this thread:
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Service-popup

Thanks again to both of you - that was very expedient help.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Hi Matt!

I've used the Xara contact form twice in the last couple of weeks without any confirmation or response. I'll try the magix e-mail next time. Thank you for the information ��
    Please send us a chat at www.xara.com and let us know the email that was used on the contact form. We pride ourselves on being responsive, it concerns me that your emails have not been responded to. (or they went into spam).
    Last edited by Acorn; 22 December 2023 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Tidied up Reply

I can only find the support form as a contact point on www.xara.com. I've filled it in though, and hopefully you'll be seeing the message.

I can only find the support form as a contact point on www.xara.com. I've filled it in though, and hopefully you'll be seeing the message.
    DrJ, like me, you probably have a Pop-up Blocker in play in your browser. I use uBlock Origin and I switch to a browser with no blocker to get to the Chat bubble.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

BTW, I'm guessing that "Acorn" refers to the computers I grew up with. When RISC OS came about I became an Artworks user (the origin of Xara). There are many fond memories from those days!

Edit: Fixed! The solution was to block the exe from outbound network connections - all info needed is in this thread:
    https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-Service-popup
    DrJ, you're 100% on the button. We must have followed the same trajectory. I go back further that the Electron (Plus 1 + ROM pack from Computer Concepts (a.k.a. Xara) like Wordwise Plus) and the Atom. My first computer was an Exidy Sorcerer that ended up controlling the dinosaur animatronics in the Natural History Museum. I think it has an empty plinth awaiting me. The computer was particularly successful in The Netherlands and could be viewed as the precursor to the BBC Micro.

Acorn

if you scroll right down and click help - then select one of the options [don't think it matters which one] then you will see the chat on the screen bottom right - this works for me and I have an add blocker

it does - choose xara cloud
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

DrJ, you're 100% on the button. We must have followed the same trajectory. I go back further that the Electron (Plus 1 + ROM pack from Computer Concepts (a.k.a. Xara) like Wordwise Plus) and the Atom. My first computer was an Exidy Sorcerer that ended up controlling the dinosaur animatronics in the Natural History Museum. I think it has an empty plinth awaiting me. The computer was particularly successful in The Netherlands and could be viewed as the precursor to the BBC Micro.

Acorn
    My first computer was an Atom, followed by a BBC, and eventually a few Archimedes and Risc PC. My top "what if" scenario is "What would have become of Acorn Computers if they still were around". At least, Sophie and Steve made the biggest impression in the world of microprocessors with the ARM. I think I have 50+ ARMs in various devices - there are lots of them inside synthesizers in particular, and of course, just about every mobile device.

I love the dinosaur animatronics story! :-D

Ahem, getting off topic here, sorry...

DrJ, like me, you probably have a Pop-up Blocker in play in your browser. I use uBlock Origin and I switch to a browser with no blocker to get to the Chat bubble.

Acorn
    That's right, I use uBlock Origin. Thanks for the tip!

Unfortunately the chat says "That email doesn't look quite right", which is wrong. Bit of a catch 22 there then...

@MB365 : my non-accepted address in the chat is formatted as "x.y@gmail.com".