Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Where can I download the new XDP v20 as a free trial? (i.e. one-time purchase opt

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Understood but trialling a Sub is not buying into it.

Acorn
    no, but only allowing such a trial is a 'golden hook' to catch a fish
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Where can I download the new XDP v20 as a free trial? (i.e. one-time purchase opt

well if you have a test file and tell me the bugs, I can export from version 20 and see what happens...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    well if you have a test file and tell me the bugs, I can export from version 20 and see what happens...
    Typical! The problem that I was having was that when I exported a PDF from a .XAR document, Xara was failing to add a URL. However having (amongst other things), rebooted my PC, XDP v19 is now exporting PDFs perfectly!

There are other errors too where XARA says it has an irrecoverable error ... but although extremely irritating at the time, to be fair to Xara they are rare in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    Typical! The problem that I was having was that when I exported a PDF from a .XAR document, Xara was failing to add a URL. However having (amongst other things), rebooted my PC, XDP v19 is now exporting PDFs perfectly!
    There are other errors too where XARA says it has an irrecoverable error ... but although extremely irritating at the time, to be fair to Xara they are rare in my experience.
    Even today I blamed my machine, Windows, myself and Xara, in that order, as all of a sudden printing from Xara spewed out partial pages. Somehow, I got it sorted without cursing myself or Xara.

I rarely find that Xara is the culprit for ephemeral errors.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Typical!......
    these bugs are sent to bite us
    Nothing lasts forever...

Talking of bugs... so I installed Pro+ (on a strictly temporary basis!) and now I just got a new "internal error" message when I saved and closed a .xar file.

(see attached)

J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	delme_XaraPlus_error.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	134357  

Talking of bugs... so I installed Pro+ (on a strictly temporary basis!) and now I just got a new "internal error" message when I saved and closed a .xar file.

(see attached)

J
    Usually the DLLs needed will kick in after a cold boot.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Guys,

Yeah I'm still upset about this whole thing. I started a thread last year about this. I was out with surgery for a while and came back and what a mess. My update service had expired. I had no content. And even today, I'm stuck at Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946, basically with half a program really, wondering what the heck to do. Sure you could plunk down a hefty chunk of change for the discounted, but still expensive first year, but then it goes way the heck up after that. They have an offer for a perpetual version at $120 (and THAT'S 60% OFF), but it comes with no content catalog and other features omitted correct? So what the heck good is that? I use it solely for web design and have for years...Way back to the first one where they actually sent you the program disk. It sucks. They're kind of forcing our hand to get into a forever subscription or leave! The alternatives just aren't Xara. It does everything I need perfectly for my building of very custom-looking sites. It's hard to think about leaving and learning something new. (add code here: #$@%^@%$#) Yep, that's what I think about all this!

Due to the lack of a trial, I guess one option is instead of purchasing the software for the annual cost, is get the monthly at $19.99 and you could try it for a month, then basically you pay twenty bucks for a trial. If you don't like it or it doesn't do what you need, you're only out $19.99 and not the $108.