Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text wrap and repelling settings

I've always found the Xara approach to text wrap rather confusing. One setting is a right-click on an image with the dialogue "repel text under". Then a separate pop up right click "repelling and anchoring" - then the settings.

It appears to me that one would chose the first "repel text under" - then move to "repel and anchoring" for the settings. I usually use a combination of both to achieve the results I really want.

Also if one wants to flow text around a pic, the text must be above the pic in the same layer, and vice versa.

As I said - I usually have to fiddle around with both settings - and for me at least - its a far longer process than just knowing what one has to do.

Perhaps just me - but there must be an easier approach than the one I take.

-Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repelling and anchoring.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	134338
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Text wrap and repelling settings

I skip a couple of steps by:
    Right-click the image then go straight to Repelling And Anchoring > Repel Text Around Graphic (tick box) > Repel Margin (text box), add whatever margin you want, I usually go for 15px.

If the text is over the top of the image, I select the image and ctrl+shit+f to bring it in front of the text.

I usually opt for 0 vertical and 12 horizontal.

Bill, you have three things to consider: Layer, Shape and Repel dimensions.

In the Page & Layer gallery, you right-click the Layer > Layer Properties. Repelling can be in just that Layer and any text in any layers beneath the Shape (default).
    You can choose to decide to repel text under any Shape (picture, text, ...). If you use 'Repel text under', the default margin is 5px all round and the margin follows the outline of the Shape.
    'Repelling & Anchoring' allows the margin to be (X, Y) gaps to be set differently and the bounding box of the Shape can act as the margin outline.

The Help is quite useful: https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...t_objects.html

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I skip a couple of steps by:
    Right-click the image then go straight to Repelling And Anchoring > Repel Text Around Graphic (tick box) > Repel Margin (text box), add whatever margin you want, I usually go for 15px. mario games

If the text is over the top of the image, I select the image and ctrl+shit+f to bring it in front of the text.
    Excuse me, may I ask? I just tried doing it your way but it doesn't work. I don't know if I did something wrong somewhere. I can't add margins. Please can you send a screenshot of what you made? Thank you very much and looking forward to your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, you have three things to consider: Layer, Shape and Repel dimensions.

In the Page & Layer gallery, you right-click the Layer > Layer Properties. Repelling can be in just that Layer and any text in any layers beneath the Shape (default).
    You can choose to decide to repel text under any Shape (picture, text, ...). If you use 'Repel text under', the default margin is 5px all round and the margin follows the outline of the Shape.
    'Repelling & Anchoring' allows the margin to be (X, Y) gaps to be set differently and the bounding box of the Shape can act as the margin outline.

The Help is quite useful: https://helpandsupport.xara.com/xara...t_objects.html

Acorn
    Thanks for the clarification Acorn. One can use the first setting, simply repel around text, but both must be on the same layer. Repel settings dialogue box for control. Usually on a newsletter I have evrything on one layer.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.