Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Upgrade Xara pro19?

Just had email notice regarding update of Xara designer pro x being upgraded to V20. Visited the site with expectations of "upgrade" only to find little or minimal information other than the "discounted" price of £120+vat. and
    NEW
    New Interface
    NEW
    Customizable Tables
    NEW
    Import data from spreadsheets
    NEW
    Widget upgrades
    NEW
    Multi-language support
    IMPROVED
    Live Copies
    IMPROVED
    Web Export
    BUT no details or examples of what one is to expect or is included in the purchase price. It does not even appear in their product section so does this mean the death of xara designer pro x? Or a marketing ploy to sell a pig in a poke?
    Ken

Default Re: Upgrade Xara pro19?

it's not officially released [launched] until 'next week' it probably says this in the email you received, it did in the one I got

release notes will probably follow when it is official

meanwhile I upgraded at the offer price, I was always going to upgrade out of the magix product, and the 'full price' of over 300 GBP if you include UK VAT is high to say the least
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: Upgrade Xara pro19?

...it seems to me that, except for the exclusions mentioned in the email link, xara designer pro 20 [perpetual] has most of the features listed in designer pro+ release notes up to march 23; in any case some of the said exceptions were not released until after march

could be wrong but there is certainly a lot more than in version 19

and I expect, as said, that release notes will be updated one way or another before too long...

http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/des...plus/index.htm
    Nothing lasts forever...

Info Re: Upgrade Xara pro19 to Xara Pro v20 (Perpetual)

The further detail is on https://www.xara.com/designerpro/v20/.

Some of its detail:

Font Selection
    Automatically find and apply installed fonts with special characters.

Working with tables
    Now you can design tables, product sheets, and invoices in Xara, use and edit them in PowerPoint and MS Word documents.

Copy external data into Xara
    Copy and paste data from spreadsheets or other external sources into your Xara tables; for accurate and beautiful marketing and sales docs.

Fully Customizable tables
    Re-order rows & columns with a simple click & drag, paste multi-line text from spreadsheets and copy cells from one table to another.

CMYK Color Profile Control
    The Color Profile used to display CMYK colors on screen and on export can now be controlled for each document, via the View tab of the Options dialog

Fast-loading lines and brushes
    Previous versions of Xara experienced a delay in loading the Line Gallery which in some cases also caused the current selection to be lost.

Widgets got more accessible
    Using Widgets, Symbol Picker, Google Font Finder and the Erase Tool Guide are now accessible with the latest Microsoft Edge technology for a smooth workflow and widest range of widgets like PayPal and YouTube.

Align Toolbar
    The distribute options on the Align Toolbar have been changed from Distribute centers, to Distribute equally spaced, a more common requirement because it works well with objects of different sizes.

A superior mobile experience
    Page animations got improved on pages with vertical scrolling. A vertical swipe will no longer changes page on pages with vertical scrolling or if text selected.

Show readers where they stand
    Now you can automatically show total pages alongside current page, for example Page 3 of 44. Just go Insert > Page Count. You can enter complex numbered lists, including a parent number.

Export as SVG
    Export more types of graphical object to web using SVG instead of having to make separate bitmap image files for each one. As a result your website and web documents load faster.

New Repeating Objects option
    The Repeating Objects feature now offers a ‘Make Repeating’ option. This turns the current selected object into a Repeating Object, without automatically copying it to all pages - you can then copy it onto selected pages.

If you purchase before year end, you have a 60% discount for a perpetual licence - with no updates. It is also many releases behind Xara Designer Pro Plus (subscription). The latter is updated about bi-monthly (6 times a year0.
    v20 is missing SVG element rendering for HTML and oodles of improvements that Pro Plus currently has. Expect a similar v21 upgrade cost, if it appears in a year's time.

You therefore have a cost and capability trade-off.
    v20 --- £120/y (discount [60MAGIXV20])& behind by about two years.
    Pro+ --- £108 (first year discount [40PLUS]) but £180/y thereafter & fully up-to-date. Xara usually offers attractive discounts every year.
    So costs are almost on parity.
    The lag will always put you a further £240 out-of-pocket, if you drop the subscription and want to have almost identical functionality.

My personal opinion, if you are a professional designer go for Cloud Pro+ - £204/y, but haggle with Xara for the Designer Pro+ discount. Give up a shop coffee each week to pay for it.
    If you are a hobbyist (or the professional designer above) then get v20 and buy an upgrade every couple of years.

tl;dr Pay £200/y subscription for the latest and/or £100/y for a perpetual licence with a 2-year lag in function.

Acorn

P.S. Either path brings in Xara Support, making Magix a dim past.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Upgrade Xara pro19 to Xara Pro v20 (Perpetual)

thanks for that acorn, the link you give is the link in the email I received...

as ever, it boils down to what you want the program for

if it will do what you want for the forseeable future, the perpetual version is a fair option, as xara say in so many words; and it avoids getting locked into features you many not have really needed, but then have to stick with

I dislike the broad-brush catagorisation that the perpetual version is for hobbists; a professional graphics designer or web designer may think that, those in other disciplines may not...

...making Magix a dim past...
    this however is a win-win
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks guys for that information (especially Acorn) why on earth this was not made easily available on the Xara website I will never know but only guess as a slow phasing out of designer pro but hey ho that's progress I suppose.
    I think I will go for the V20 update.

Thanks again for the info and have a great Christmas and hopefully a better New Year
    Cheers
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by mentorman View Post
    ... have a great Christmas and hopefully a better New Year
    you are welcome, and wish you all the best too

xara marketing has always been 'interesting'
    Nothing lasts forever...

I love your signature, Nothing lasts forever lol

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you are welcome, and wish you all the best too

xara marketing has always been 'interesting'

but of course... nothing else does
    Nothing lasts forever...

> v20 --- £120/y (discount [60MAGIXV20])& behind by about two years.

That's outrageous. Xara are clearly trying to phase out perpetual licences if the are deliberately making the perpetual licenses 2 years out-of-date. :[

I have told Xara that being a self-employed user with unpredictable workload, I shall never EVER buy a subscription to any piece of software.

i.e. My view is that each and every time that they want more money from me, they will have to earn it with some new work that is of value.

They have been telling me that V20 "is a significant upgrade from v19." but if it is deliberately being kept behind by "about 2 years" that is not acceptable.

Decision: OK, I'll tell Xara that if & when they bring V20 up-to-date with the features in Pro+, then I would be delighted to pay the £120.

J