Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Block (Gallery)

I'm trying to remake the gallery for a customer's 'doodles' using the new Blocks. Original, non Block version can be seen here >>> caroleclaude.art/

I forget which one I used, but the first 5 are all the same anyway. Being lazy, I like the easy and nonchalant way I can add a new picture by copying one already in the Block and then replace it by dropping the new immage onto the copy.

However....
    1) Is there a better way of adding simple text labels under each image? The way I went was to add the text outside the Block, group it to the picture, and then copy/paste into the Block. If I don't group them, the text shoots off like a Gecko on a ceiling fan.
    I would be happy with the grouping situation if, on numerous occasions, the text didn't decide that Raleway 18 centred wasn't good enough and changed to TNR 14.whatever. Hitting undo doesn't undo. Updating the text to match doesn't update. Changing 30 picture manually loses its quirkiness after a while.

2) The automatic placement (throw a new image in the Block and its neighbours scurry around to make room for the newcomer), which I like a lot, doesn't arrange itself in a way I would choose manually. The outer edges appear to dictate the position, as opposed to keeping the inner spacing uniform. Is there a whole toolbar of options that I'm staring at and not seeing?

3) There's a 125px space between the top of the Block and the top of the page. Why, and how do I remove it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blocks Gallery.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	134249

Default Re: Web Block (Gallery)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I'm trying to remake the gallery for a customer's 'doodles' using the new Blocks. Original, non Block version can be seen here >>> caroleclaude.art/

I forget which one I used, but the first 5 are all the same anyway. Being lazy, I like the easy and nonchalant way I can add a new picture by copying one already in the Block and then replace it by dropping the new immage onto the copy.

However....
    1) Is there a better way of adding simple text labels under each image? The way I went was to add the text outside the Block, group it to the picture, and then copy/paste into the Block. If I don't group them, the text shoots off like a Gecko on a ceiling fan.
    I would be happy with the grouping situation if, on numerous occasions, the text didn't decide that Raleway 18 centred wasn't good enough and changed to TNR 14.whatever. Hitting undo doesn't undo. Updating the text to match doesn't update. Changing 30 picture manually loses its quirkiness after a while.

2) The automatic placement (throw a new image in the Block and its neighbours scurry around to make room for the newcomer), which I like a lot, doesn't arrange itself in a way I would choose manually. The outer edges appear to dictate the position, as opposed to keeping the inner spacing uniform. Is there a whole toolbar of options that I'm staring at and not seeing?

3) There's a 125px space between the top of the Block and the top of the page. Why, and how do I remove it?

Name:	Blocks Gallery.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	134249
    Chris, I used the Feature (List) Web Block.

The graphic is embedded with the text. You select the text and drag or clone drop and the image follows.

You do have the Object margin (X, Y), which will take positive and negative values.

For finer control, I also added Unfilled Boxes with 0px Line widths to act as spacers. These too can have margins.

Check the Padding Y value for your 125px space.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, I tried a Block from the Features & Lists section too. I couldn't control that at all. I resize the pictures without issue, but all you have to do is think about altering the width of the text column and off it shoots. Reminds me of adding a picture to a Word document.

The padding, I can't see how to edit at all. Selecting the Block (clicking the green bit) and going to arrange, I see the Ungroup Web Block is greyed out.

Adding unfilled boxes didn't work on the standard Xara Block as the text column was too fiddly to adjust to the width, but it worked perfectly on my custom one (see attached pic).

The page padding to remove the 125px gap at the top...I hang my head in shame

And now, 6 hours later, I attach the picture.

Name:	Blocks Gallery2.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	134251

Chris, your link to your sites not working, it needs to be:

https://caroleclaude.art/
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Chris, your link to your sites not working, it needs to be:

https://caroleclaude.art/
    Thank you. The site is now sporting the Blocks Galleries. Because the main site is a conventional one, I used iframes to keep them where I want them.