Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How to open a specific page online?

Hello everyone,

That title might be vague, but, for some reason I can't get this to work and I'm kind of confused. I have done it in the past just fine, but now...maybe I need more coffee?

So, I created a website with multiple pages; the norm with a home page (index), and six additional pages. I named all the pages accordingly. Pages 6 and 7 are property pages for real estate and are named with a physical home address, i.e. 2843highway70

These pages contain property information about the specific property for sale. The agent wants to simply be able to send a link to agents and other buyers, specifically for THAT property and not the entire website. Now, I always thought that once you publish a site, if somebody went online and typed in the web address up to dot com a / and in this case that street address (page name) would open up that page, in this case: dotcom/2843highway70 I get a 404 error page everytime I try to open that page. The agent wants me to create pages for all her individual properties, so in her marketing, she can promote only specific home addresses (house not web addresses lol) and send out a link accordingly. Right now, if I go to the website, and click on a specific property, the web address shows the dotcom/2843highway70.htm? Why is there an htm there? That's not what I would normally see on a /(page) Incase you want to see the issue my site is here On the home page if you click on one of those featured properties, it opens up the properties spec page. That's the page link I'm wanting. The idea im looking for would be www dot franhardingrealestate.com/2843highway70

Am I having a total brain fart here or something and have a missed a simple step? As always thank you in advance for any help in this.

Tazz

Default Re: How to open a specific page online?

Tazz, your URLs are ended with .htm or .html so you would need dotcom/2843highway70.htm or dotcom/2843highway70.html.
    You can change your server-site .htaccess file to redirect and display pages without the extension but that is a different tutorial.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Tazz, your URLs are ended with .htm or .html so you would need dotcom/2843highway70.htm or dotcom/2843highway70.html.
    You can change your server-site .htaccess file to redirect and display pages without the extension but that is a different tutorial.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn, I hope life is treating you well. Ok, so yes, I guess I'm stuck with the .htm. I just thought it was automatically done without an extension, just dotcom/whatevername
    Well thank you for your response. I appreciate it.
    Take care.

Hello Tazz,

There are services like Bitly that give you the possibility to make custom Web addresses that might just be the thing you are looking for. You can test the concept by opening a free plan: https://bitly.com/blog/bitly-free-plan-new-features/.