Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default That file seems to be empty

Hi all its been a while since I was in the forum

I opened up my website file from open recent as usual
    but was met with an error from Xara Designer Pro +
    "That file seems to be empty"
    i looked in the back ups but my back ups are set to every 25 mins
    so 2 or 4 of my recent files are empty and the only ones i could load were last backed up from jan or feb

I have now overcome the initial shock of these files just disappering!! and opened up the older back up files and updated them to match my current website files and renamed them in the process. i am now able to load them from the open recent tab
    have had a few microsoft updates recently and the google drive showed an error and i had to relocate my sync folder location. and also have recently run the pro + auto upgrades - who is the culprit here? 1. Xara Upgrade 2. Microsoft Update 3. Google Drive Sync?

I have had this happen once before a few years ago i have also reset my back up frequency to every 10 minutes.

My question to the forum is why do these files just dissappear from within Xara designer ?
    is it because of the microsoft updates google drive sync folder ? Xara pro+ upgrades

how or why does Xara not prevent this from happening ?

I appreciate the back ups are a god send in retrieving files
    but it is rather unsettling never knowing when you might just lose files suddenly

Any prevention methods or tips would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: That file seems to be empty

condor, in all my time working with Xara design files, I have, luckily, yet to meet this problem.

The one time I had a problem was in closing my machine while a XAR file had not finished syncing to Dropbox.
    You may have encountered a similar timing issue.

Did you keep these empty files? Were they truly empty?
    If they were of the size you expect, you should copy them to Xara for its analysis.

I set my Xara Backup files to a different drive.
    I work my main files in a local Drpbox-aware folder, so its backups are automatic.
    I also have Xara Backups set on all open files on Close.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: That file seems to be empty

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    condor, in all my time working with Xara design files, I have, luckily, yet to meet this problem.

The one time I had a problem was in closing my machine while a XAR file had not finished syncing to Dropbox.
    You may have encountered a similar timing issue.

Did you keep these empty files? Were they truly empty?
    If they were of the size you expect, you should copy them to Xara for its analysis.

I set my Xara Backup files to a different drive.
    I work my main files in a local Drpbox-aware folder, so its backups are automatic.
    I also have Xara Backups set on all open files on Close.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn

Thank you for your help yes its a mystery to me in all the years its only happened twice now
    when it says the file seems empty there is no file period!
    i cannot send the file to Xara for analysis if i cannot find it!!? i searched the app data folder too?

i literally had to load a previous back files from months ago luckily my huge website (85 pages) with many updates did have a recent back up
    as it saved a back up within my 25 minutes frequency - i used Dropbox before but they only give 2 GB or 2 TB at a monthly cost
    so i opted for Google Drive instead. Dropbox always worked superbly maybe i will go back to Dropbox

i need to do the same as your tip "Xara Backups set on all open files on Close."

Many thanks for the help
    Kind regards
    Condor