Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Let’s talk making a smart shape photo grid

I’ve gotten around to dropping some of the ready made photo grids. A lot do not work. Follow my steps and see if I’m right.

With the smartshape tool, or a smartshape from the catalogue I drag a rectangle. I power duplicate this a few times up and down. A few for landscape and others in portrait.

I click a rectangle and replace with photo.

Am I to assume that my photo will automatically resize itself to the rectangle? Thanks all.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Let’s talk making a smart shape photo grid

And it didn't work. Couldn't replace the photo. Missed a step somewhere. I'll search - I know there's a good tutorial someplace.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Bill, I'll try to answer your question.

Faced with a variety of rectangle shapes, if you add a bitmap as its Fill, it will try and scale one of the image's axes to exactly span the width or height of the rectangle.
    The midpoint of of the rectangle will always be the centre point of the image, even if you displaced the prior image.

So the image is scaled to one axis and it cropped for the other.

Look at 'cover' in https://www.w3schools.com/csS/css3_object-fit.asp.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    And it didn't work. Couldn't replace the photo. Missed a step somewhere. I'll search - I know there's a good tutorial someplace.
    Drag the new image over the old and drop.
    OR
    Drop onto the page and delete. Select the rectangle and then open the Bitmap gallery and right-click Apply as fill.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design