Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Button problem

Default Button problem

I noticed that if put buttons in a layer and make them sticky loose their link.
    I this a limitation of xara, or something i miss.

Default Re: Button problem

Quote Originally Posted by Andre7 View Post
    I noticed that if put buttons in a layer and make them sticky loose their link.
    I this a limitation of xara, or something i miss.
    Andre, you are not wrong, it is a Xara Bug.

The only workaround I have is to remove the Close pop-up automatically option for the pop-up.
    I usually code out the Xara Close icon and add my own somewhere else.

Experimentally, i have used my own CSS to apply position: fixed, instead of Sticky, to my button and if you then have a non-Instant transition to opening the pop-up, the link works.
    All very fragile as Scale to fit width destroys that tenuous hope dead.

My actual alternative is to use JS & CSS to create my own "pop-up" layer by making objects on a non-pup-up layer hidden until they are invoke with a JS trigger.

Do raise this issue with Xara directly as it has a habit of ignoring most of the Bugs that I raise; you might be luckier.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn for the quick reply. I am trying to create a navigation menu which slide in from the left edge of the screen. The layer with the buttons is off page. The layer and everything in it it has to be sticky otherwise it won't stick to the left edge. But the links don't work.
    I am going to follow your advice and see if I can come up with a solution. At the moment it seems impossible .

Thanks Acorn for the quick reply. I am trying to create a navigation menu which slide in from the left edge of the screen. The layer with the buttons is off page. The layer and everything in it it has to be sticky otherwise it won't stick to the left edge. But the links don't work.
    I am going to follow your advice and see if I can come up with a solution. At the moment it seems impossible .
    Andre, try this: CSS - Sticky Off-page Slide-In Menu Buttons.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I fail with this on several points:

1) I create 2 more pages, named A and B because I have no imagination. I change the button links to point to the new pages. I can navigate to A or B, but nowhere else thereafter.

2) The buttons slide from left animation doesn't work out-of-the-box as Xara has never fixed the fact that using Sticky on a layer a) stops links from working with Close Automatically, b) animation settings to open the layer itself don't work and c) having a Reveal animation cannot be used. I presume you used a bodge to have them slide in using the Reveal setting?

3) The code used in the Website HTML (body) section is a neat way of hiding the generic close button. Other than being cleaner, does have any other advantage over using (lock) in the layer name?
    3a) I can't imagine ever wanting the generic close button. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add the code to all the web templates, so it's there as default?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    I fail with this on several points:
    1) I create 2 more pages, named A and B because I have no imagination. I change the button links to point to the new pages. I can navigate to A or B, but nowhere else thereafter.
    2) The buttons slide from left animation doesn't work out-of-the-box as Xara has never fixed the fact that using Sticky on a layer a) stops links from working with Close Automatically, b) animation settings to open the layer itself don't work and c) having a Reveal animation cannot be used. I presume you used a bodge to have them slide in using the Reveal setting?
    3) The code used in the Website HTML (body) section is a neat way of hiding the generic close button. Other than being cleaner, does have any other advantage over using (lock) in the layer name?
    3a) I can't imagine ever wanting the generic close button. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add the code to all the web templates, so it's there as default?
    Chris, thank you for checking the design over.

1) I've been caught out! I never added any page links to check. Lazy!
    2) The Slide In was applied to the Hamburger reveal, not the Buttons directly.
    3) I've just never liked the (lock) approach as it is another of Xara's undocumented fudges. Xara need to normalise all the [problems mentioned here. I find adding fudge on fudge never ends well.
    3a) It's your funeral. No problem at all as it is your design.

As I initially said, I use a non-Xara solution for this usually.
    I would like to see if this approach can have 1) solved.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Chris, thank you for checking the design over.

1) I've been caught out! I never added any page links to check. Lazy!
    2) The Slide In was applied to the Hamburger reveal, not the Buttons directly.
    3) I've just never liked the (lock) approach as it is another of Xara's undocumented fudges. Xara need to normalise all the [problems mentioned here. I find adding fudge on fudge never ends well.
    3a) It's your funeral. No problem at all as it is your design.

As I initially said, I use a non-Xara solution for this usually.
    I would like to see if this approach can have 1) solved.

Acorn
    With regard to 2): Each button has a reveal animation applied to it. Xara doesn't allow a reveal animation to be applied in a layer, and the pop-up layer > settings > transitions are ignored by Xara if they are sticky. The only bodge job I know is to cut the objects you want animated, paste them on MouseOff, add a reveal Utilities > Web Animation > Reveal/Scroll (tab) > Reveal Animation (radio button) > Animation (button), choose your effect and then cut the objects and paste them back in the layer.

Re. solving 1). I spent hours trying to do just that back in February to no avail. I posted it in Dear Xara, again, to no avail. Hamburger With Sticky Bun (talkgraphics.com)

Thank you for your time, Acorn-Chris. I am surprised Xara ignores such an important functionality.
    Bugs like this turning people away from xara and in search for different programs to do what is very basic almost in any website builder software.
    Still trying but it looks like i am giving up soon.
    Thanks again

Not sure if this meets your requirement? https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/slideMenu/

I just used a standard Xara Navbar (for another unrelated demo).

XAR file: Slide-in Side NavBar.xar
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Not sure if this meets your requirement? https://initiostar.co.uk/demo/slideMenu/
    I just used a standard Xara Navbar (for another unrelated demo).
    XAR file: Slide-in Side NavBar.xar
    Yes Gary, changing my Menu layer to Menu(lock) works in my design. Appreciated.

The new Xara buttons means you don't have to create MouseOverMenu layer.
    You still do if creating your own or are using Old School buttons.
    I do not like the new Buttons, or the Xara NavBar, for the principled objection is that they render out as images and ruin a crisp website design.

Old School buttons had nasty mouse over display issues.
    Overall, we still have a bag of nails.

Most of my 'buttons' use the Xara website link colours option and CSS :hover/:before for any button background fills and transitions.

Acorn