Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Info Re: What Happened to Xara/Magix Online Content?

Quote Originally Posted by Red14 View Post
    Here's is where i got the V19.0.2.... Trial version from: https://www.xara.com/web-19-download/

The file is named "XWDL19Setup.exe" and about 863MB in size.

the screenshot is taken from the in-trial upgrade button function

It looks to me that all what is in de library is all what you get and no further updates.

And it is genuine Xara.

I checked the file and it is 19.0.2......Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icon.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	134079
    Red, thank you for being the front runner for us.

I decided to try the trial.
    Yes, Xara want a full £199 but there appears to be a "perpetual" discount of 30%, but 'perpetual' only for the first year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	{939AF04C-CED0-444C-90CE-13977CB6681E}.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	134081 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	{C6F105E5-BF2A-434C-A912-AF6B338299B8}.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	134080

My download unpacked 11,105 files.
    The 'cache' was identified as C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Xara\WebDesignerPerpetu al\19\Cache\designs\eng\firstlook\intro_18_0, so Xara didn't bother to update the First look introduction files.

You have to register into Xara Cloud to activate the trial;

Name:	{7F97F1A9-DA40-41A3-BFCF-A51555B53D54}.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	134082

I think this is the biggest change, the install folder, mine, C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Web Designer\, now holds the 'cache' in C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Web Designer\clipart\. Previously, this was a load of files chucked into the Local AppData folder, effectively forcing it all onto your C:\. Now you could install into another drive and the 'cache' will follow.

In passing, the new 'cache' could be reworked into your current Magix v19/v18/v17 XDAs for those who never downloaded the original 'cache'.

You get a purple nag button asking you to "Subscribe to get more content..."; this is to entice you into the Plus versions.

The worst thing I now have is I cannot use Xara Cloud readily between my Plus account and this trial without having to log out of one and into the other.

Will I buy in? Probably not.
    I actually like the Subscription model and the latest Xara features, mainly SVG handing.
    I am really used to the monochrome buttons and actually felt uncomfortable rolling back to v19:

Name:	{8E026ECE-0E13-4618-AEAA-BE4DE1D868B1}.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	134083

Why Xara stuck at v19, I can only guess.
    Xara Web Designer 19.0.2.67264 P x64 Jul 21 2023 shows it has been on the books for quite a time.
    I want to know more about its upgrade trajectory and if it will ever align with the Plus version.
    At that point, I might buy in.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 19 September 2023 at 04:58 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP