Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Printing actual size

Hello all
    How does one print actual size in DPX. I have designed a member card for a club. When I print it prints smaller than the design size. I am printing selected objects.
    Appreciate any help

Default Re: Printing actual size

on the assumption that you have not set any scaling options.....

how was the design size determined ? - if you have designed to size entirely within DPX then it should print correctly

if you have imported bitmap/image asset who's 'size' was determined outside of DPX, then it not always that straightforward - the only reliable measure of an image's size is it's pixel dimensions

if you import an image, say 1000 x 1000 pixels into DPX, then if it is tagged at 96 dpi it will import to view at at 1000 x 1000 pixels but if it is tagged at some other dpi it may not

one way to avoid this is to set your view options to always import at 96dpi:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import 96.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	134032

but sometimes you may have a 'size' given for a bitmap/image that is not based on pixel dimensions but on a 'print at a given dpi' size so you have to be careful

I hope that helps
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 August 2023 at 10:12 AM. Reason: clarity hopefully
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In Print Options, tick off Actual Size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Actual size.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	134033  

your number came up Gary
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    your number came up Gary
    however on checking, that option does not appear in my DPX 19, so I'm thinking it is pro+ only?

certainly those print options need reviewing to make sure there is no automatic scaling

EDIT - mine is on 'best fit'
    Nothing lasts forever...

I always go out back and count the horse's teeth.

Printer Sizing.xar

Printing 'Actual', my 10 inch line is accurate to 99.96%.
    I would accept that my printer can be less accurate at the edges of the paper.

I check the 10" HTML code:
    <span class="xr_ar" style="left:101px;top:507px;width:958px;height:2px ; pointer-events: none; overflow: visible;pointer-events: none;"><svg style="position:absolute; left:0; top:0; width:100%; height:100%; overflow:visible; viewBox: 0 0 958 2; pointer-events: none;"> <path fill="none" stroke="#008000" stroke-width="2" stroke-miterlimit="10.0" d="M 0 0 L 456.55 0 M 501.43 0 L 957.98 0 " fill-rule="evenodd" pointer-events="visible"></path>
    </svg></span>
    This was showing a length (L) of 957.98 with a start position of 101. The end pieces start at 100 and 1058 with a width of 2 (1058 - 100 +2 == 960)
    Overall the 10" horizontal line is 960px long. Screen scaling is 96px/in so as spot on as possible; the SVG L gap of 0.02px gap is not visible as the vertical bars cover it.

The PDF print was a tad more accurate.

For best Xara accuracy, work in milliPoints.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Steve - You're correct. I just checked my DPX 18 and Actual Size is not an option.

Does it matter what it's called?

Way back in XP&GDv10, you'd pick Print > Options > Layout > Multiple fit and keep the (R1, C1, G0cm) settings.
    In XDPXv18, try the same then click Custom Fit and change the Scale, higher up, to 100%.

Of course, it is far easier to match when the paper size matches that of the printer.

What I also try is clone everything visible into a Outline layer when I change the Fill to None and the Line width to 1px, hide all other layers and test print.
    Uses paper but saves ink.
    If you are really frugal, turn and flip the paper and change Line colour and reuse.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Steve - You're correct. I just checked my DPX 18 and Actual Size is not an option.
    gary - yes, and as acorn said, it does not matter what it is called... provided of course that it does the same thing
    Nothing lasts forever...