Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Check Mobile Variant

I had my neighbor check out this mobile variant on his iPhone and he said that clicking on the books on the home page produced 404 page not found errors in Chrome and Safari.

Mary and I both have Safari on our iPhones and have not had any problems.

If you can on iPhone or Android check out gwpriester.xara.hosting/books Specifically tapping on the book photos on the home page should link to a separate page for each book. Please let me know if you encounter any errors.

The Artwork link will not work because it links to a folder not yet created.

Thanks

Default Re: Check Mobile Variant

I tried adding html instead of htm and worked. Before that it did not work.

Gary, i assume you used XPro+ and a built-in template.
    If so, your site is publishing as index.html and not index.htm. You can revert by Web Properties > Website > Other, untick Export files as .html.

Your picture links are all .htm.
    As these book links are to the same domain, you should not be setting them by hand, use Web Properties > Link > Link to and pick from the drop-down list.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

So I have a lot of work to undo. But thanks for checking that, guys
    Last edited by gwpriester; 27 August 2023 at 01:16 PM.

Here's what's odd though. On our iPhones, SE and 14 Pro, both up to date iOS, there is no problem in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, DuckDuckGo. So the more recent iOS must make exceptions for differences in htm and html? But my neighbor who spotted the problem might not have updated recently.

And, Acorn. I created a mobile variant and linked the book images to the appropriate pages in the nav bar that I created. And Correct Automatically is checked. In the home page section, my file name is index.html so all files should be html.

This really is a dog's breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    And Correct Automatically is checked.
    Gary, correct automatically has no place when using Link to drop-down choices anyhow.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Your picture links are all .htm.
    As these book links are to the same domain, you should not be setting them by hand, use Web Properties > Link > Link to and pick from the drop-down list.
    The original site was html. I created a mobile variant. I did use the Web Properties > Link to link the book cover images to the appropriate pages in the drop down list. So how did those pages become htm?

IOW I did everything by the books as far as I can see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web prop 1.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	134026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web prop 2.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	134027  

OK. Please check again. I think everything now is htm. I would rather html but I don't suppose it makes any difference.

Lightbulb Re: Check Mobile Variant

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    The original site was html. I created a mobile variant. I did use the Web Properties > Link to link the book cover images to the appropriate pages in the drop down list. So how did those pages become htm?

IOW I did everything by the books as far as I can see.
    Sorry Gary, you are using Old School tacit information in a New School design.

Old School

• Change the Page filename from index to index.html and all following pages will adopt .html.
      • This was a Xara kludge.

New School
    • Toggle setting for either all .html or .htm.

You need to change index.html back to just index and toggle .html On.
    Your current setup will be exporting index.html and .htm for the rest.
    This will obviously cause backward version issues, pre-toggle days.

I have never tested for a mix of extensions and what happens to subsequent page rendering in either approach.
    Xara has 'simplified' the design but has not accommodated for websites designed in the kludgy fashion.

Acorn

Everything is HTM and working. I am going to quit while I'm ahead.