Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Web Blocks

Default Web Blocks

I watched some of the Xara videos on web blocks and maybe it's just me but I don't get it.

What would make more sense to a new user or even a confused old duffer like myself is a simple demonstration of here's how we build a website. With simple steps.

Default Re: Web Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I watched some of the Xara videos on web blocks and maybe it's just me but I don't get it.
    What would make more sense to a new user or even a confused old duffer like myself is a simple demonstration of here's how we build a website. With simple steps.
    Gary, trust in Auntie Xara.

Just drag or click in a shedload of Web Blocks and Xara will populate both Main and (single) Variant.
    Don't like where a WB sits then click drag it into its new position, its partnered WB (collectively know as Web B(**)locks but never voiced) will also be moved. A bit like WordPress.
    Don't try and be a designer as things will break: "Pre-designed for inspiration" or I've just made a WBs of it.

Seriously,
    Web Blocks are vertically linear, you cannot place them horizontally adjacent.
    You cannot hide WBs.
    You cannot Lock WBs.
    You cannot put WBs on a pop-up layer.
    Use the wrong layout then Xara's Layout group locks you from rearranging elements.
    I think Xara has sorted out being able to edit into items that have embedded components.

Try explaining how to add a NavBar in the style of this video - 'Blocks 2.0: Bringing Professional Layouts & Tools to Your Existing Freeform Websites'.
    I find it fairly insulting that Xara claims its Web Blocks are "professional" and our traditional (sorry, freeform) websites, de facto, cannot possible be.

If I was unsure of a layout, I might take my freeform design and turn sections into WBs just to be able to sensible move blobs around.
    The hassle of doing it to the same precise blobs in both Main and Variant is not worth the trouble.

Something more worthy might have been adding meta-hints around an image for clicks to add Image Filename or Alt Text or preview a Web Animation on an object or object in the design page. Oh, and make the tree structure in Page & Layer gallery fully inclusive of all actions and attributes assigned.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat