Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Closing Xara

Exclamation Closing Xara

Can anyone identify when the clicking of the XDA Close icon results in a set of dialogs to ask where to Save or Discard unsaved documents?
    It does not do this in v18 and seems to have appeared in v23.3.0.67471 SL x64 Aug 17 2023.

I can still press Alt+F4 (MS) and Alt+F+X (XDA) but that is not the point.
    By all means ask if I invoke a Close document action but not for each and every time I want to put the application to bed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Closing Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Can anyone identify when the clicking of the XDA Close icon results in a set of dialogs to ask where to Save or Discard unsaved documents?
    It does not do this in v18 and seems to have appeared in v23.3.0.67471 SL x64 Aug 17 2023.

I can still press Alt+F4 (MS) and Alt+F+X (XDA) but that is not the point.
    By all means ask if I invoke a Close document action but not for each and every time I want to put the application to bed.

Acorn
    This is controlled by the "Backup open documents on program close and restore on program start" option in the Backups tab of the Options dialog...If the option is checked the program should just shut down immediately without asking anything. When restarted, any unsaved documents will still be marked as unsaved even though they are saved into the backups folder...

(I believe) that if there is some issue with the backup folder then it might fall back to the legacy behavour of asking...

Let us know. Thanks.

@Matt, thank you.

My backup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-23 160613.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	134005

My working Backup folder (I have different one for each version I use):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-08-23 160831.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	134006

I suppose when I changed my Product-eng.cfg file, as Bhav suggested to correct another problem, I may have added in something to stir the pot.
    This was two days ago.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Same version DP+ and is closing as normal for me without asking.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

XDA? Do you mean Pro+? If so, not problems with that here.

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    Thank you for advising. I'll have to chase down a good copy of Product-eng.cfg file...

Acorn

Last time I visited TalkGraphics, the topic of conversation was what might happen if Xara Ltd/Gmbh/whatever closed and Designer Pro+ couldn't check its licence

Today, I see Acorn starting a topic "Closing Xara"

Jesus. My heart skipped a beat!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Last time I visited TalkGraphics, the topic of conversation was what might happen if Xara Ltd/Gmbh/whatever closed and Designer Pro+ couldn't check its licence
    Today, I see Acorn starting a topic "Closing Xara"
    Jesus. My heart skipped a beat!
    Newspaper sub-editors do it all the time, why not here?

"Dread, all about it!"

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by xtom View Post
    xtom, thank you for your PM and copy of your Product_eng.cfg file.
    I tried it today in place of mine and all is now working properly.

I immediately included my:
    PDFManualLink=C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro+\HelpAndSupport\ENG\XaraDesignerProPlus.pdf
    that allows me to invoke the previous Help > PDF Manual that Xara chopped.

Not everyone works always on-line and have a far more useful local PDF copy of the manual, even if it is out of date is still worth it.
    The on-line approach is very cumbersome when searching for things.

It is very disappointing that Xara has not delivered an off-line help document, as was promised.

In XPro+, don't try this at home, it appears if you remove the new:
    [OnlineHelp]
    URLBase=https://helpandsupport.xara.com/index.htm,
    the Help links mostly refer back to the compiled Help file, xarax.chm.
    This has not been updated for a year now and so some of the links go to interesting places as I found out with my mangled configuration file.
    For those interested, the CHM file is in C:\Program Files\Xara\Xara Designer Pro+\HelpAndSupport\ENG\.

Acorn