Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default FTP error: Failed Initialization

Picture2.bmp

Yesterday I uploaded changes to this website with no problem. Today I get this error. Nothing has changed for ftp settings. The host did not change the server.
    Using Web Designer 11 premium.

All other websites upload fine from Xara.

Is this a host problem?

I thought I would just upload the one file with changes through the file manager at IONOS, but I can't find the file. The "rates.htm" page in my directory is dated from 2011. Where the heck did Xara put the file? I even searched for it through Windows File Manager and all that comes up is the old 2011 file.

I'm about to throw the computer out the window.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture1.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	133987  

Default Re: FTP error: Failed Initialization

Hi Vicki

I am not sure if this will help but it is always a good place to start.

Close Xara. Then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator. This will either work or it won't. You only need to do it once.

Let us know one way or the other.

hi

this might help, but as I don't use xara for websites I am not sure:

https://www.magix.info/us/forum/my-w...tial--1290284/

I'm about to throw the computer out the window
    please remember, the manual advise that in the interests of safety you have the window wide open before you do this...
    Last edited by handrawn; 19 August 2023 at 07:15 AM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by horse3farm View Post
    Picture2.bmp
    Yesterday I uploaded changes to this website with no problem. Today I get this error. Nothing has changed for ftp settings. The host did not change the server.
    Using Web Designer 11 premium.
    All other websites upload fine from Xara.
    Is this a host problem?
    I thought I would just upload the one file with changes through the file manager at IONOS, but I can't find the file. The "rates.htm" page in my directory is dated from 2011. Where the heck did Xara put the file? I even searched for it through Windows File Manager and all that comes up is the old 2011 file.
    I'm about to throw the computer out the window.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    If you are only changing one file, what I would do is Export Website to a local folder.
    Open into index_htm_files in that folder and locate the full path to your file you want to upload.
    In Ionos's File Manager, upload your file into your server location.

You need to remember that a Xara publish can rework a lot of components you might not have thought would have changed so your published site could go very wrong.
    If you changes something in the rates page, say a Navbar, all other htm pages would be affected. Many of the Navbar images would be affected and these sit in the index_htm_files folder.
    Only FTP things that you know and can prove have not affected other things.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hey Gary,

This didn't work. I have no problem uploading any of the other 5 websites on Xara. Just this website, which is the only one on IONOS. The rest are all GoDaddy. One day I could upload, the next I just changed a number on a page and upload returned failed initialization. IONOS did not change the FTP server.

Hmm? There's always the FileZilla option.

Have you tried support at IONOS? They might have a suggestion or perhaps a different server to upload to.

Called IONOS support. They said that my IP address was blocked. So they unblocked it and said to try again in a couple hours. That was yesterday. I still get "ftp-failed initialization". Confirmed the settings, even changed the ftp password.

I did try Core FTP that I had on my computer and did connect. However, Xara is so weird, I'm afraid to upload that way. PLUS....I can't find any of my files!! Where they are supposed to be? The date of the files I can find are dated 10 years ago. I feel so dumb. I'm so frustrated. Called IONOS again and they confirmed my settings are right (they haven't changed in 5 years) and that my IP address was NOT blocked. I threatened to move the whole site to GoDaddy and so he's escalating it and I'm supposed to get an email.

I have exported the website to a local folder.

1. can I just upload one htm file through Core ftp? Will it display correctly?

It may be I turned 70 this year and I've lost my mind. I already told all my clients I'm retiring at the end of the year. (I hate clients).

When you publish through Xara, it generates a temporary Export folder in %localappdata%\Temp (you did ask) [or, C:\Users\(login)\AppData\Local\Temp].
    This remains until you close your XDA.

To be able to access this export folder, instead, first save as Export Supersite/Export Website to a folder of your choosing.
    In that session, if you make changes and then Preview Website, the changes still go to the Export folder and not Temp.
    Close the XDA , reopen the design file and you have to prime it to put things into the local folder all over.

Do not just try and upload one HTM file; to work, the XDA may have changed other things as I mentioned before.

If you are so worried, publish the entire website from the local export folder to a sub-folder on the server to prove it will work.

Clients are people who expect you to handle their problems and take them away. Don't hate clients, hate their problems with a passion and get the better of the problems, far more satisfying.

Spring chicken!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat