Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

What model of Wacom tablet do most of you use, those or you who have them?

I have seen the Graphire and Intuous models. The price difference is dramatic between the models. Would the less expensive 4 X 5 Graphire offer enough funtionality for someone who used it occasionally but not professionally?
    Those who have the Intuous models, do you often use the programmable function keys at top?

I'd like to know if the less expensive ($100 US) would be worthwhile for general use, or should I save my money for a better one to get more better features? Would I likely not use all the features of the more expensive tablet, as an amateur and occasional user?

Thanks!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Btw, I just wanted to add, that except for Photo-Paint, I really don't use the tilt or pressure sensitivity of the Intuos. It has awesome support and control over pressure, but since most applications don't have decent support for it, it goes mostly unused. What I like the most about the tablet is the natural precision of the pen verses the mouse. An Intuos has more than six times the precision as the best optical mouse (I also own a logitec optical mouse). That's what I'm so attached to - the raw precision and ease of use. That's why a 4x3 would simply be too small for me. I do know a couple people who prefer the small size. Personally, if I was concerned with desk space, I would go with the 6x8 (that was my first tablet). Once I got hooked, though, I made it a point to clear off more desk space.

The great thing, though, is that the tablet is soooo durable, you can use it for just about anything. I often eat dinner on my 9x12 Wacom. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I've used the higher-end Wacoms for around 6 to 7 years now and I wouldn't trade my Intuos for the world. Using a computer with a mouse is so disconcerning, I really can't stand to work on a machine without an Intuos. At work, I had them order me a 9x12" USB Intuos. At home, I also use a 9x12" USB Intuos (the cool dark blue graphite looking ones). Again, I can't even concentrate in vector drawing programs or 3d programs without my Wacom stylus.

However, I will admit that I NEVER use the little shortcut button strip across the top. I find it's a bit awkward. My ideal setup has one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts, and my right hand on the tablet.

Personally, the size of the Graphire is just too small. I wasn't able to be as precise. The minimum size that I would recommend is the 6x8, but ideally the 9x12 is as close to perfection as one can get.

Yeah Dale, the wacom program lets you select individual programs and set different things to the buttons on the pen. You can even set a combination of keystrokes for one of the directions of the rocker switch ( in the middle of the pen which I can activate with the thumb). So lets say in your program when the space bar is held down, you can grab the page and pan. You could set this to (for example) the rocker switch pressed forward (not that it's not as easy to just hold the space bar down with the other hand but what if you have a coffee in that hand .... think of the possibilities for unhampered beverage consumption [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). In XaraX I had one of these set to pop-up the colour editor ( I think ctrl-e was the key shortcut).

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

It would also appear that there are several versions of drivers and software that come with Graphires... notice that the version I have does not have as many options as does the version Weldorman has...

hmmmm, wonder if there is an update??...

Great information!

Weldorman, is that a screen shot of the Graphire?

Thanks, everyone!

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

If everything works to your satisfaction I'd suggest you follow these steps

1 ... take 10 deep breathes
    2 ... carefully move the cursor to the X in the upper right of the wacom program
    3 ... press on the left mouse button with the index finger and release
    4 ... never activate the wacom program again

heheh ..... best not tempt the computer gods to mess up somethig that works for ya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Seriously , though , I never use the mouse as it feels wierd on top of the tablet to me. But when I did try it I had to turn off mouse acceleration! It was driving me nuts. For the pen I unselected the double click assist. But that's my perference.

As far as programming the buttons , it could be useful in various programs

I was logged in, but it posted my post as a "guest."

Weird.

- Lewis Carroll

Graphire tablet---but hardly ever use it after getting an optical mouse---for my use the mouse actually offers more control and I can draw anything with it now with ease. My tablet just gathers dust! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

I have the 4x5 graphire and don't think I need a larger size. I like that size as I don't really draw with my arm much even on paper ... hand an wrist. Some day I'd like an Intuos but would probably stay with the 4x5.

A lot of software doesn't take advantage of the Intuos with it's tilt and other advanced features ...Painter is the one which comes to mind.

Of course if you don't need pressure sensitiveness, there's a good portion of the use of it gone. I use it extensively while drawing my ideas using Expression 2 software for my watercolour and ink paintings (ah the vector lines which widen or narrow with pen pressure are very handy).

I also use it for any other graphics need and sometimes just clicking links surfing the net [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. I find the pressure sensitive pen is great for web surfing as the website actually loads faster the harder you press the pen on the link ( hahaha ... would have been great when I had a snooze-up modem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )