Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I have the 4x5 graphire and don't think I need a larger size. I like that size as I don't really draw with my arm much even on paper ... hand an wrist. Some day I'd like an Intuos but would probably stay with the 4x5.

A lot of software doesn't take advantage of the Intuos with it's tilt and other advanced features ...Painter is the one which comes to mind.

Of course if you don't need pressure sensitiveness, there's a good portion of the use of it gone. I use it extensively while drawing my ideas using Expression 2 software for my watercolour and ink paintings (ah the vector lines which widen or narrow with pen pressure are very handy).

I also use it for any other graphics need and sometimes just clicking links surfing the net [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]. I find the pressure sensitive pen is great for web surfing as the website actually loads faster the harder you press the pen on the link ( hahaha ... would have been great when I had a snooze-up modem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

David K ... www.dkingdesign.com

weldorman ... since you brought up the wacom control program (and such brilliant windows colours you have there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]), I thought I'd mention that I turn off the double-click assist in the double click tab. I found this was making me double click when I was only touching the pen tip on something. it was very annoying. I don't know if anyone else noticed this or was it just me who had this problem.

Great information!

Weldorman, is that a screen shot of the Graphire?

Thanks, everyone!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

It is screen shot of the properties window where you make all of your settings for the Graphire2 tablet. If you would like to see more of the options let me know and I will send more screen shots.

"Weldorman, is that a screen shot of the Graphire?"
    It is not a screen shot of the tablet if that is what you mean.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is not a screen shot of the tablet if that is what you mean.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very Funny! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks, I just needed to know the model you were showing the properties/options of.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Yeah Dale, the wacom program lets you select individual programs and set different things to the buttons on the pen. You can even set a combination of keystrokes for one of the directions of the rocker switch ( in the middle of the pen which I can activate with the thumb). So lets say in your program when the space bar is held down, you can grab the page and pan. You could set this to (for example) the rocker switch pressed forward (not that it's not as easy to just hold the space bar down with the other hand but what if you have a coffee in that hand .... think of the possibilities for unhampered beverage consumption [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ). In XaraX I had one of these set to pop-up the colour editor ( I think ctrl-e was the key shortcut).

It would also appear that there are several versions of drivers and software that come with Graphires... notice that the version I have does not have as many options as does the version Weldorman has...

hmmmm, wonder if there is an update??...

I've used the higher-end Wacoms for around 6 to 7 years now and I wouldn't trade my Intuos for the world. Using a computer with a mouse is so disconcerning, I really can't stand to work on a machine without an Intuos. At work, I had them order me a 9x12" USB Intuos. At home, I also use a 9x12" USB Intuos (the cool dark blue graphite looking ones). Again, I can't even concentrate in vector drawing programs or 3d programs without my Wacom stylus.

However, I will admit that I NEVER use the little shortcut button strip across the top. I find it's a bit awkward. My ideal setup has one hand on the keyboard for shortcuts, and my right hand on the tablet.

Personally, the size of the Graphire is just too small. I wasn't able to be as precise. The minimum size that I would recommend is the 6x8, but ideally the 9x12 is as close to perfection as one can get.

Btw, I just wanted to add, that except for Photo-Paint, I really don't use the tilt or pressure sensitivity of the Intuos. It has awesome support and control over pressure, but since most applications don't have decent support for it, it goes mostly unused. What I like the most about the tablet is the natural precision of the pen verses the mouse. An Intuos has more than six times the precision as the best optical mouse (I also own a logitec optical mouse). That's what I'm so attached to - the raw precision and ease of use. That's why a 4x3 would simply be too small for me. I do know a couple people who prefer the small size. Personally, if I was concerned with desk space, I would go with the 6x8 (that was my first tablet). Once I got hooked, though, I made it a point to clear off more desk space.

The great thing, though, is that the tablet is soooo durable, you can use it for just about anything. I often eat dinner on my 9x12 Wacom. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Gidgit , you have selected the mouse while weldorman's screenshot shows the pen selected. The resulting options are different for each (on mine, with the mouse selected, it shows the four you have while with the pen selected it shows the 6 tabs weldorman has shown.