Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What model of Wacom tablet do most of you use, those or you who have them?

I have seen the Graphire and Intuous models. The price difference is dramatic between the models. Would the less expensive 4 X 5 Graphire offer enough funtionality for someone who used it occasionally but not professionally?
    Those who have the Intuous models, do you often use the programmable function keys at top?

I'd like to know if the less expensive ($100 US) would be worthwhile for general use, or should I save my money for a better one to get more better features? Would I likely not use all the features of the more expensive tablet, as an amateur and occasional user?

Thanks!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

What model of Wacom tablet do most of you use, those or you who have them?

I have seen the Graphire and Intuous models. The price difference is dramatic between the models. Would the less expensive 4 X 5 Graphire offer enough funtionality for someone who used it occasionally but not professionally?
    Those who have the Intuous models, do you often use the programmable function keys at top?

I'd like to know if the less expensive ($100 US) would be worthwhile for general use, or should I save my money for a better one to get more better features? Would I likely not use all the features of the more expensive tablet, as an amateur and occasional user?

Thanks!

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Good questions Dale, I'm interested in a tablet myself too. What I have read though is that Wacom is the only one who can produce tablets that last a lifetime. I would prefer an Intuous, but hey, that's a lot of money and I think I'll wait until I'm allowed to spoil myself again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I have had two 4x5" Wacoms, and earlier I had a 12x15" CalComp. People usually think that you need the bigger size to draw best, but I found that I never ever used all the space on my large CalComp - drawing larger just made it harder to draw accurately, as the curves would get more shaky, etc.

Konklusion: save your money and get a 4x5".

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I have a 8 x 6 and am happy with it. The only people I know about that seem to need larger tablets are those who are used to doing large gester strokes. i.e. the full arm swing.

I too had a large Cal Comp and when the pen broke, and the company that bought the product did not support older models I had to throw it out. Going to a much smaller tablet was no problem at all.

I do not ever use any of the programable features, but in Painter do change the sensitivity of the pen depending what brush I use. For Xara it wouldn't make that big of difference.

My Stuff

I had already decided I would get a 4 X 5, because of my limited space, and I thought it would be easier to work with a smaller tablet for my purposes. Thanks Klaus, for putting my mind at ease about going with the smaller tablet.

So, is there any substantial difference between the Graphire2 and the Intuous2, other than more levels of pressure and programmable hot keys?

The Graphire2 seems to be the one I am leaning towards, because it is more affordable and it seems to have most of the features of the Intuous, except tilt. Are there any really handy features notably absent from the cheaper models(Graphire)?

In other words, is it worth it to spend double the price of the Graphire 4 X 5 for the Intuous 4 X 5?

Judi, I am assuming you can change the sensitivity of the pen in both the Graphire and Intuous models. Is that correct?

Klaus, do you use the Graphire or Intuous, and why?

That should just about cover my questions, and thanks very much for your replies!

I was logged in, but it posted my post as a "guest."

Weird.

- Lewis Carroll

Graphire tablet---but hardly ever use it after getting an optical mouse---for my use the mouse actually offers more control and I can draw anything with it now with ease. My tablet just gathers dust! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Dale I got one of Wacoms reconditioned tablets and it looked like new. I attached a screen shot of the Wacom tablet properties window if that will help any.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wacom.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	12621  

Hi Dale... I have a Graphire 2 and I love it... worth every penny, and for my meager painting needs it worx just fine... the cordless mouse that comes with is a dream, and the small size of the Graphire makes for cross screen travel at but a slight move of the wrist... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

HTH