Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Table of Contents

Hello and good day!

I have seen the insert table of contents dialogue and can't remember how to get to it. I searched the help files and it reports that no topics match my search. Using V.18 and having a seniors moment.

Many thanks in advance! It's nice to be back and see the forum so well used!

Ed

Default Re: Table of Contents

Yeah, beats me. I did a quick search and came up empty handed.

My last book with a table of contents, I simply centered each entry and added an em dash between the title and the page: My Story — 32

IMHO it looks more contemporary and the flush left titles and flush right numbers with the leader dots in between. Nobody used leader dots that I have seen recently.

Create a text Column (or Area).
    With the Text tool still active, use Insert > Table of Contents.

Xara's approach require you have used Paragraph Styles for Headings 1 through 9.
    very limiting.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Gary and Acorn! The header approach is what I had come across, but I could not for the life of me remember how I got there. Now I know, thanks!

Have a great day!

Ed

Hello again and good day!

I was able to figure out how to use these headings, thanks for the help. Now I have a table of contents five headings deep and it looks great. Problem is that it exceeded the page size and although I did set "Fit to Page" I can't seem to stop this. Please advise.
    Thank you in advance!
    Ed

Ed, resize the ToC so it has an overflow but the text Area fits to the page.
    Create another Text Area and with the Text Tool drag the Black Circle at the bottom right into the new text area.

This way you can split across multiple pages or position side by side.

I wouldn't try a split with the Columns function.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ed, resize the ToC so it has an overflow but the text Area fits to the page.
    Create another Text Area and with the Text Tool drag the Black Circle at the bottom right into the new text area.

This way you can split across multiple pages or position side by side.

I wouldn't try a split with the Columns function.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn! Worked like a charm!