Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default A logistics problem when designing a new site.

So I've promised a refurbishment of a site for a country music performer. He's got his own domain etc. Simple site - 5 pages - many photos. Sites working well.

I'm going to leave that site up until the new design is ready to go.

When the new site is ready - do I simply trash all the old site files uploaded to my service provider - and do a fresh upload of the new site ?

I realize this is probably an elementary question - but I seem to recall that wiping everything from the old site from my c'panel caused a problem with the index page especially.

Thanks all,
    Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: A logistics problem when designing a new site.

You can simply publish over the old site, but it is probably better to delete all the current files and then republish.

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    So I've promised a refurbishment of a site for a country music performer. He's got his own domain etc. Simple site - 5 pages - many photos. Sites working well.
    I'm going to leave that site up until the new design is ready to go.
    When the new site is ready - do I simply trash all the old site files uploaded to my service provider - and do a fresh upload of the new site ?
    I realize this is probably an elementary question - but I seem to recall that wiping everything from the old site from my c'panel caused a problem with the index page especially.
    Thanks all, Bill
    Bill, it ought not be a problem. The index page issue is probably because the default loo0ked for is index.html. If you are up loading .htm files then you probably changed the .htaccess file to redirect to .htm. Do check if there is an .htaccess file present and retain that.

I might delete the index_htm_files folder totally and keep the HTM files and just overwrite those.
    Then check for old timestamps and remove those.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I'd create a sub-folder 'old-site' and publish the old site to it. Then you could delete the content of current site when required and upload the new site.

That way you have a copy of your old site in the sub-folder.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Good point Egg. A backup copy. Just in case.

Gary- Egg - Acorn. Thanks gentlemen.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.