Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Anchoring an image over a image in the text box

I'm trying to anchor an image on an image which I have put in a text box:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anchoring graphic.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	133842

The background image was pasted into the text box so that it moves as I insert or delete text. I then placed the red box on top, but I can't group the two, because the bottom one is strictly "text"; at least that is what I have concluded from the message that appears when I try.

I'm currently anchoring a few characters in from the margin at the start of a sentence, as shown, but I'm not sure this is the best way to do this (sometimes, after text edits, the red box moves off and I haven't worked out why yet).

Can I ask the floor what is the suggested method to achieve both images staying locked together?

Thanks very much for any input.

Cheers, Al

Default Re: Anchoring an image over a image in the text box

Quote Originally Posted by Vortilon View Post
    I'm trying to anchor an image on an image which I have put in a text box:

Name:	Anchoring graphic.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	133842

The background image was pasted into the text box so that it moves as I insert or delete text. I then placed the red box on top, but I can't group the two, because the bottom one is strictly "text"; at least that is what I have concluded from the message that appears when I try.

I'm currently anchoring a few characters in from the margin at the start of a sentence, as shown, but I'm not sure this is the best way to do this (sometimes, after text edits, the red box moves off and I haven't worked out why yet).

Can I ask the floor what is the suggested method to achieve both images staying locked together?

Thanks very much for any input.

Cheers, Al
    The simplest way I know would be to soft-group your red rectangle with the image, then copy and paste it within the boundary of the text box.

The alternative would be 'anchor-to-text' the same soft-group - the latter allows you to have the soft-group image outside of the text box.

Name:	Anchor_Embed_Soft-Group.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	133844
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Xara Designer Pro+ and Xara Designer Pro X 19.0.1.65946 DL x64 Feb 7 2023

Gary, great, thanks for that. I used the first option and it works a treat.

Bug Re: Anchoring an image over a image in the text box

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    The alternative would be 'anchor-to-text' the same soft-group - the latter allows you to have the soft-group image outside of the text box.
    Gary, I agree that that is the most flexible.

In doing so, I found a numpty Bug. If the Soft-group items touch or move beyond the bottom text area bound, the text fades out from the line the Anchor point is on, as if it is too deep for its own text area.
    It doesn't affect the rendered output but it mucks up the design presentation.

Anchor to text also allows a Text Inside shape to be anchored to a text area; my other approaches have always failed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gary, I agree that that is the most flexible.

In doing so, I found a numpty Bug. If the Soft-group items touch or move beyond the bottom text area bound, the text fades out from the line the Anchor point is on, as if it is too deep for its own text area.
    It doesn't affect the rendered output but it mucks up the design presentation.

Anchor to text also allows a Text Inside shape to be anchored to a text area; my other approaches have always failed.

Acorn
    Acorn, a little irritating, but I think if you switch from a text area to a text column this overcomes the issue. I had the same issue when using a Name/Stretch where one wants the background shape to stretch as the volume of text increases. With a text area, you see the same greyed out text in preview, but with a text column preview and publish are in sync.
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Initiostar View Post
    Acorn, a little irritating, but I think if you switch from a text area to a text column this overcomes the issue. I had the same issue when using a Name/Stretch where one wants the background shape to stretch as the volume of text increases. With a text area, you see the same greyed out text in preview, but with a text column preview and publish are in sync.
    Gary, yes a Text Column sorts it out as it has no defined depth. It fails, in particular, with a text panel and anything anchored that wanders across the line. You can change a text inside to a column but it reverts when you edit the text.

Just another quirk to learn...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Ah... thanks for the explanation Acorn - understood
    Gary
    www.initiostar.co.uk